Honors Concentration Requirements
Honors applications due: Monday, April 2, 2018
Final Honors theses due: Friday, March 30, 2018
Students wishing to pursue DAAS Honors must have a 3.4 overall GPA and a 3.5 GPA in DAAS courses. In addition to requirements set for the concentration, students seeking honors need to:
- Contact the DAAS Honors Coordinator to apply for the program, preferably by the first term of their junior year, but no later than the deadline above during the second term of their junior year. As part of the application process students also select a Faculty Thesis Advisor, who should be a member of the DAAS faculty.
- Take a special section of the Senior Seminar (AAS 495), titled.
“Advanced research in Afroamerican & African Studies,” in the Fall semester of their senior year. The student's work in the Senior Seminar will focus on drafting a portion (approximately 25 pages) of the honors thesis.
- Take AAS 410, "Supervised Reading and Research," in the Winter term of their senior year, when they will expand, revise, and complete the thesis. The student’s faculty advisor will normally oversee this independent study. The finished honors thesis should be 40 to 60 pages.
- Submit their final thesis to the DAAS office by the end of March. All theses must have the final approval of the faculty advisor. All theses are also read by at least one and in many cases two additional members of the faculty who will offer feedback and assess the quality of the thesis. If the thesis meets the criteria of excellence for receiving Honors, it will be assigned one of the following rankings: “Honors,” “High Honors,” or “Highest Honors.” The final determination of Honors ranking is made by the Honors Program Coordinator in consultation with the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Samples of student honors theses
Seniors earning Honors are invited along with their guests and advisors to the DAAS Graduation Ceremony, at which the students present brief summaries of their theses and receive a special certificate of achievement.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.