- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- DAAS Statement on Racist Campus Graffiti
- Vibrancy of Silence: A Discussion with My Sisters
- Uncommon Connections: Aesthetics, Anthro/History, Health
- Legacy: Art Across Generations Gallery Opening
- Derek Peterson among 24 awarded $625,000 by MacArthur Foundation
- Heather Ann Thompson on America’s Prisons
- Lorna Goodison in BBC World Service
- Heather Ann Thompson Article in Newsweek
- Dr. Naomi André Receives 7th Annual Shirley Verrett Award
- Tiya Miles featured in The Detroit Free Press
- All Events
See the video here below.
We Fought the Law lyrics
Race law stories, my invention,
I teach the law, what fun, I teach the law, what fun.
Teaching DAAS seniors keeps me on the run,
I taught the law, and I won, I taught the law and I won.
Butterwood Nan left a legacy,
Said she was an Indian.
Granddaughters claimed that they were free,
They fought with law and they won, they fought with law and they won.
Hiram Revels was a Senator,
Refused his rightful seat by some.
Dred Scott seemed to close the door,
But he used the law and he won, he used the law and he won.
Plessy was sent to a separate car,
His struggle had just begun.
High court ruled race was a bar,
He fought the law, but Jim Crow won, he fought the law but Jim Crow won.
Wong Kim Ark returned from school,
Claimed to be a citizen.
Border agent said stay out’s the rule,
Wong used the law and he won, Wong used the law and he won.
Ossian Sweet bought a bungalow,
Neighbors tried to make him run.
Shotgun fire was a fatal blow,
He faced the law, but the law won, he faced the law, but the law won.
Scottsboro boys falsely accused,
Feared they’d never see the sun.
ILD various tactics used,
They fought the law, but who won, they fought the law, but who won?
War agents held the Japanese,
Korematsu tried to run.
Claimed to be loyal down to his knees,
He tried the law, but the state won, he tried the law but the state won.
Andrea Perez found herself in love,
Her man was not a Mexican.
Clerk said no, what you thinking of!?
She raised the law, and she won, she raised the law and she won.
It’s sad to say our semester’s done,
We studied law, and we won, we studied law and we won.