- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- DAAS Statement on Racist Campus Graffiti
- Vibrancy of Silence: A Discussion with My Sisters
- Uncommon Connections: Aesthetics, Anthro/History, Health
- Legacy: Art Across Generations Gallery Opening
- Derek Peterson among 24 awarded $625,000 by MacArthur Foundation
- Heather Ann Thompson on America’s Prisons
- Lorna Goodison in BBC World Service
- Heather Ann Thompson Article in Newsweek
- Dr. Naomi André Receives 7th Annual Shirley Verrett Award
- Tiya Miles featured in The Detroit Free Press
- All Events
At the 25th Annual MLK Symposium, two of DAAS own were honored for their contributions to the King memorial: Professor James Chaffers, professor emeritus of architecture and a senior design juror for the project; and Jon Lockard, a faculty member in the Department of Afroamerican and African Studies, who served as artistic consultant. Both James Chaffers and Jon Lockard were awarded with the MLK Spirit Award and King/Chavez/Parks Award.
MLK Spirit Awards - The University recognizes those who exemplify and advance Dr. King’s vision through their achievements in building diverse communities, leadership responsibilities and service to the University of Michigan community and beyond.
King/Chavez/Parks Visiting Professors Program, is sponsored through both the University and the State of Michigan, and contributes to the intellectual diversity of the campus by providing guest faculty with diverse points of view and experiences. Some Visiting Professors have traditional scholarly backgrounds; others may be outstanding performers or practitioners in their fields.
The award will be displayed at the Michigan Union in following weeks, and later this term at a central location on North Campus.