GalleryDAAS opened on the 16th of September 2010 with an introductory exhibition by Jon Onye Lockard, a world renowned master painter and muralist. Lockard was a lecturer and one of the founding faculty members of DAAS - Department of Afroamerican and African Studies.
Types of Exhibits
GalleryDAAS exhibits contemporary Black visual art. It collaborates with artists, curators, critics and art historians as well as with DAAS/U-M faculty and students.
Frequency of Exhibits
GalleryDAAS presents two exhibitions a year during the fall and winter semesters. The gallery is located on the ground floor of Haven Hall in Room G648. The gallery is open during exhibitions on Monday through Friday from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm.
The gallery celebrates and interrogates the creativity of artists of Africa and its Diasporas, not only in our exhibitions, but through our artist residency program and by offering gallery-based learning opportunities for DAAS and the broader U-M community.
Each exhibition in GalleryDAAS has a brochure, catalog, flyer, postcard, poster, or some combination of these.
- U-M Class Visits
- School Visits
- Special viewings after hours for various organizations
- GalleryDAAS Curator, Elizabeth James (email@example.com, 734-764-5517)
- GalleryDAAS Manager, Arielle Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org, 734-647-0450)
- DAAS Chief Administrator, Wayne High (email@example.com, 734-764-9300)
- For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org