Are you teaching a laboratory course? The Chemistry Instructional Support Services staff provides support to all department classrooms and laboratories. We support everything that’s required in the laboratories from chemicals and glassware to equipment and instrumentation. We actively engage with faculty to make the labs as effective as possible whether that’s providing supplies and equipment or working on ways to implement changes or totally new curriculum into the lab.
We support the activities of outreach programs and fully support classroom demonstrations by doing them for you or supplying the necessary components for you to do them yourself.
For any services or support, contact the Lab Manager, Jim Vollmers.
- Jim Vollmers, 2529 Chemistry, 734.936.0385, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mou-Chi Cheng, 2317 Chemistry, 734.764.7347, email@example.com , analytical and biochemistry labs
- Sarah Spanninga, A601 Chemistry, 734 763-4684, firstname.lastname@example.org, Atrium laboratories and service area
- Guenther Kellner, 1612 Chemistry, 734.764.7344, email@example.com , chemical dispensing
- Kyran Groce, A601 Chemistry, 734.763-4684, firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Labs Service Window (Chemstand)
- A601 Chemistry, 734.763.4684
Chemical Dispensing (for teaching labs only)
- 1612 Chemistry, 734.764.7344
Teaching Lab Videos
- Chemistry Safety Video/Gloves Handling
- Balance Operating Instructions
- Hotplate Stirrer with Heat Block Instructions
- TLC Spot Sample Instructions
- Ocean Optics Spectrometer
The suites of instructional labs that begin with "A" are located in the lower atrium of the Willard H. Dow or 1988 Chemistry building.
The instructional labs for upper level courses that include Analytical, Physical and Advanced Synthetic labs are located on the 2nd floor of the 1948 Chemistry building.
Biochemistry labs are located in the lower level of the 1948 Chemistry building with access from the atrium.
Faculty and GSI information
- Audio Visual Instructions - Atrium Labs (pdf)
- Chemical & Waste Handling in Teaching Labs (pdf)
- Tips for your first time teaching a UM Chem lab course
- Laboratory drawer assignments
- Reimbursement of Non-Standard Lab Course Supplies (docx)