LSA students receive Michigan in-residence—not transfer—credit for participating in CGIS programs. Credits appear on your academic record and are applicable toward your UM degree. Non-LSA students should contact their home school or college concerning the applicability of LSA courses and Michigan in-residence credits.

At the end of your global study program, the overseas office or on-site staff send a record of your courses, credits, and grades to CGIS. We work with the registrar’s office to add these to your UM transcript. Courses are listed on your UM transcript with the CGIS program's STDABRD (Study Abroad) title and number followed by the individual course titles, credits, and grades as they correspond to the courses you completed abroad. Credit hours and grades are converted whenever the grading/credit system from the abroad institution differs from UM's. Grades are calculated into your overall GPA.

Because LSA students earn in-residence credit, you may be eligible to fulfill distribution or concentration requirements abroad. Courses do not automatically fulfill distribution or concentration requirements. You should communicate with advisors to see which courses may fit into your program of study and to seek pre-approval for distribution or concentration requirement credit.

Depending on the program, it may take several weeks or months for student grades to appear on your UM transcript. This may delay the issuing of your diploma.

CGIS is required to record and report all grades and courses taken abroad as posted on official transcripts and cannot delete or remove courses posted on your official transcript. You should respect local academic practices and understand that most university systems outside the US do not allow students to contest grades. Consult the on-site staff if you have questions about local grading procedures.

Pass/Fail Option

If you plan to take a class pass/fail, you must request a Pass/Fail Form from your CGIS advisor within either 3 weeks (winter, fall, academic year) 2 weeks (spring, summer) or 1 week (3-week program) of your program start date. You should also consult with your Academic Advisor to discuss your decision to take any course Pass/Fail.

For more information on the Pass/Fail option, LSA students should consult the Newnan Advising Center's website.

Credit Load

All students on a semester-long CGIS program must carry a full-time course load, which means between 12 and 18 credits during Fall or Winter semester. Half-term spring or summer programs normally award between 3 and 10 credits. Some programs specify a required course load, others do not. Under no circumstances should you earn fewer than 12 credits per full term or fewer than 3 in a spring or summer half term. Consult your program-specific materials to determine the appropriate number of credits and course load for your program.

In some cases you may petition to take more than 18 credits per term. You must have permission of both your host institution and CGIS to do this. Be aware that UM will charge additional tuition for each credit hour over 18 (over 9 for spring and summer half terms) even if you have permission to take more classes. For details on tuition fees, refer to the Office of the Registrar tuition information.

At certain program sites and with the permission of the on-site director, you may audit courses over 18 credits, but all LSA rules apply. For example, as an auditor, LSA requires that you complete all coursework including tests and exams. Official audits (visitor status) do not earn credits or honor points. If you elect to audit a course, this is recorded on your UM transcript, and you will be charged for credits over the normal credit limit.

Sports Experiences on Academic Transcripts

Students may not be awarded credit on their UM transcript for participating in sports or other athletic activity abroad, even in cases where the local program or university awards credit. If you believe your athletics course contains substantial cultural and/or academic content, please contact your CGIS advisor.

Non-LSA Students

Non-LSA students should consult advisors within their home school or college about the type of credit they will receive and whether it fulfills college requirements.