INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: National Eye Institute is Offering Summer Internship Opportunities... Apply by:
National Eye Institute
Diversity in Vision Research & Ophthalmology
The National Eye Institute (NEI), National Institutes of Health (NIH), is seeking exceptional candidates for its Diversity in Vision Research and Ophthalmology (DIVRO) summer internship program.
The mission of the NEI is to conduct and support research that helps prevent and treat eye diseases and other vision disorders. Because we believe that a diverse group of scientists play a crucial role in accomplishing this mission, NEI seeks to increase the number of African-American, Latino, and Native American scientists in vision research by promoting career development opportunities for science students interested in pursuing a career in research.
DIVRO offers participants the opportunity to work closely with leading NEI scientists. Training typically begins in May or June of the selection year for 8-12 weeks on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. The program is designed to:
- Provide hands-on training in a research environment and an opportunity to present scientific research at NIH Poster Day.
- Prepare students to continue their studies and advance their career in clinical and basic research.
- Apply knowledge gained during their academic studies to actual experiences in a laboratory.
- Students 16 years of age and older who are enrolled at least half time in high school or in an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Completed course work relevant to biomedical, behavioral, or statistical research.
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) or science course GPA of 3.2 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must not have a relative who works for the NEI.
- Complete online application for the NIH Summer Internship Program at www.training.nih.gov/programs/sip by March 1, 2014, and indicate in Question #9: Preferred Institute: National Eye Institute (NEI).
- In your Cover Letter, please indicate your interest in the DIVRO program.
- Additionally, applicants must contact Dr. Cesar Perez-Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org) once the online application is completed.
Candidates will be selected based on their academic achievement, personal goals and interests and letters of recommendation.
Information about the DIVRO program: www.nei.nih.gov/training/diversity_in_research.asp