MCSP Snapshot: Data from our 10th Anniversary (1999-2009)
- Number of Students: 125- 150 students: 75% first-year students, 25% student leaders
- Number of Faculty: 10-15 interdisciplinary faculty associates (about 50% faculty of color
- Student Demographics: Historically, have averaged about 50% students of color and international students, 50% white students
- Funding and Sponsorship: College of LS&A and University Housing
- Current Staffing: 2.0 FTE
Community Service Contributions of MCSP Students to the State of Michigan and the U.S.:185,700 = Total Hours of Community Service over 10 year period. $3,658,290 = Dollar Value of MCSP Community Service over 10 year period. Civic Engagement , Community Service and Democratic Practice – commitment to civic engagement in all professional careers long before national embrace of service. Intergroup Dialogue and Engagement – commitment to modeling a “diverse democracy” and intentionally “interrupting the cycle of racial segregation” in both the classroom and the residence hall through this living learning program.Academic Excellence, Retention, and Diversity – unprecedented academic success of all first-year students as demonstrated in student retention data.
Selected Funding Endorsements and Awards
- Need-Based Scholarship Endowments – The MCSP Faculty and Staff Community Service Need-Based Scholarship Endowment Funds and The Milstein Family Fund
- Provost’s Whitaker Grant – “Diverse, Interdisciplinary Learning Experiences for Students through the Integration of Classroom Study and Community Engagement.” 2009-10
- Diversity Council Grant – “Building and Celebrating a Multicultural Learning Community,” 2009-10
- Ginsberg Outstanding University Program Awards – “University-Community Social Justice Film and Discussion Series.” 2008-09; Outstanding Campus Impact Awards; Outstanding New Student Leaders, etc.
- U-M Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award- MCSP administrative team, 2010
- Ford Foundation Grant on Difficult Dialogues – faculty retreats and seminars on religious pluralism and academic freedom resulting in course revision and writing initiatives, 2006-07
- U.S. News and World Report: Annual “Best Colleges” ranking for U-M Learning Communities and Service-Learning Programs
- Bringing Theory to Practice Initiative – MCSP is showcased by Association of American Colleges and Universities as model for a healthy environment for students in terms of depression, stress, binge drinking
- National Recognition: CNN Broadcast – MCSP is showcased on Anderson Cooper 360,
PEW National Learning Communities Fellows, Newsweek Magazine, Detroit Free Press, Ann Arbor News, etc.
- Student Leadership Awards –MLK Spirit Awards, Ginsberg Awards, IGR Gurin Awards, Truman finalist, Black Celebratory keynote, Solar Car Team, Smart Award, etc.
- 70 MCSP Resident Advisors, 146 MCSP Peer Advisors, 140 MCSP Peer Mentors
- Annual MLK Day “Circle of Unity” – 250 – 350 people gather on the diag
- Book Publication: Engaging the Whole of Service-Learning, Diversity and Learning
- Communities – by MCSP faculty, national leaders, students and community partners, 2004
- AmeriCorps – Michigan students have worked at Focus: HOPE, Warren-Conner Development Coalition, ROC-Michigan