- Bachelor in General Studies
- Joint Degree
- Choosing a Major
When to Apply
Students are encouraged to begin this process early in their sophomore year. This affords them an opportunity to develop their ideas and to find the necessary faculty support in a timely fashion. Students need to realize that while some proposals are approved, not all Individual Major Program proposals receive the approval of the Committee for Interdisciplinary Studies. So it is imperative to have a viable alternative plan that will not delay the student’s graduation date.
Generally, proposals are not accepted after the first term of a student's junior year. At the time of proposal submission, no more than half the courses for the proposed major can be completed and/or currently elected.
There will be only one submission deadline per full academic term (fall and winter). These deadlines will occur soon after the middle of the term. Please plan accordingly, because crafting a strong proposal is a process.
Fall 2017 Deadline
When: Wednesday, November 22nd @ 3pm
Where: Front Desk, Angell 1255
How to Apply
To be considered by the Committee for Interdisciplinary Studies, students must submit a complete proposal by the appropriate deadline. To be complete, a proposal must include the following information:
- A cover sheet
- An intellectual statement of purpose (generally 4-5 pages in length)
- A curriculum proposal of 34 upper-level credits, with course cluster descriptions and course alternatives
- Recommendations from two LSA faculty members (see link "Faculty Proposal Review Form”)
- An unofficial academic transcript
NOTE: All the documents above (with the exception of your Faculty Recommendations — see below) should be delivered to the front desk staff of the Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center, 1255 Angell Hall, by 3:00 p.m. on the deadline.
- The faculty recommendations should be emailed directly to Tyrone Stewart (email@example.com) by 3:00 p.m. on the deadline; he will append them to the other documents.
- All documents should be single-sided and not stapled.
- NOTE: The Committee will not consider incomplete proposals.
Committee meetings are typically one to two weeks after the proposal deadline. The program advisor will communicate the committee's decision via email after the meeting.
Members of the Committee for Interdisciplinary Studies should not be contacted or consulted regarding the summary of their decision (provided by the program advisor) nor can they assist in the writing of your proposal.