Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Degree Requirements


Click here for previous requirements

The major in Comparative Literature requires students to complete the language skills necessary for the study of literature courses in a second language.

Major Program. Students are required to complete a minimum of 33 credits, according to the following plan. 100-level courses do not count toward the major.

  • 30 credits. A complementary grouping of literature courses. Students will combine COMPLIT courses with other elective courses in relevant departments and related fields chosen from the list of pre-approved courses OR to be chosen in consultation with and approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies, including
    • At least 9 credits of COMPLIT courses at the 200 level or above. For those writing a senior thesis during the last term, COMPLIT 496 (3 credits) may be used.
    • at least 12 credits in a second language
    • An additional 9 credits in Comp Lit or other relevant departments. See the list of pre-approved courses and the “Selecting courses in other departments” section below.
  • 3 credits. The senior seminar, COMPLIT 495, is required for all students in the major.