Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Advising & Declaring

Tatjana Aleksic, Director of Undergraduate Studies

Feel free to make an appointment with a Comparative Literature undergraduate advisor any time you have questions about your program of study in Comparative Literature or the major in general. For general questions related to your work in LSA outside of our department, LSA provides general advisors to every student in the college. If you have questions regarding college matters (such as transfer credits or LSA graduation requirements) you should make an appointment with a general advisor.  

The Student Services Coordinator also has useful information about courses, registration, enrollment status, honors theses, and faculty interests. Along the corridor, you will find displays with course flyers, announcements, and snapshots of our faculty and staff.


If you have taken a course in Comparative Literature and decided that you would like to pursue a Comparative Literature degree, or if you simply want to explore the possibility further, make an appointment with an undergraduate advisor. Appointments can be made on the Comparative Literature website. If the online scheduler does not have appointment times that work for you, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) at to seek a meeting time. If you have urgent questions, you may contact the Comparative Literature Student Services Coordinator at or (734) 647-4894. 

It is required that students see a Comparative Literature advisor at least twice in their career: once at the beginning, to declare the major, and once at the end. This final visit is called a senior audit. For the senior audit, graduating seniors are required to see an undergraduate advisor in Comparative Literature in the first term of the senior year in order to complete a check of all the requirements. 

However, we urge you to see an undergraduate advisor at least once per term to make sure that all of your requirements are being met and to keep current on department policies and procedures. To guarantee consistent, personal guidance, the Comparative Literature Department has appointed a Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) and one staff member as undergraduate advisors. Since they are fully informed about the department’s offerings, they will also help you plan a coherent and fulfilling curriculum in Comparative Literature. 

It’s also a good idea to talk to Comparative Literature professors whose classes you have taken because they will know something about your talents and interests and will be able to offer good advice. Or you can ask the student services coordinator in the Comparative Literature office about talking to other students currently in the program.

Declaring the major

If you decide you want to work toward a degree in Comparative Literature, you must meet with an undergraduate advisor to complete the Major Declaration Form. The date on this form guarantees that you complete the major under the departmental requirements in effect at that time, no matter what subsequent changes may be made to the requirements. It also gives the Department and the College a way of keeping track of our Comparative Literature majors. 

This declaration form does not lock you into an unbreakable contract. If you change your mind, you simply declare a major different department. We do ask, as a courtesy, that you notify the Student Services Coordinator if you decide to drop the minor.  Similarly, you can switch to Comparative Literature from another major.

Student records and preparing to graduate

You should periodically check your Unofficial LSA Audit Checklist to check your degree progress and see if you’re on track to graduate. If you see discrepancies with the courses being counted toward the Comparative Literature major, contact the Student Services Coordinator ( to request an update. Questions about LSA requirements should be directed to your Newnan Advising Center Advisor. 

As you near completion of your requirements, you should take the following steps, ideally in the next to last term. 

Senior audit. Make an appointment with the Comparative Literature DUS or Student Services Coordinator so you can double-check your transcript to make sure you have fulfilled your major requirements. This senior audit authorizes the university to issue your diploma. It is very important to make this appointment early in the fall term of your senior year so that you have time to take courses you may need to graduate. If you plan to study away from the University your last semester, you can do a senior audit before you leave. You can also request an audit by contacting your advisor by email. 

Apply for Graduation. It is your responsibility to apply for graduation for the term in which all degree requirements will be completed by going into the Student Center section of Wolverine Access. Students completing requirements in the Spring term should apply for summer graduation.