The Department of Comparative Literature is pleased to invite graduating seniors in all departments at the University of Michigan to submit entries for our annual prize in literary translation.
This prize is intended to encourage undergraduate students to develop projects (through previous coursework or on their own initiative) in translating into English a literary text originally written in another language.
Submissions are due by Tuesday, April 16, and will be judged by a team of faculty members in Comparative Literature.
A prize of $500 will be awarded at the end of winter term. The winner or the winners will be invited to read at the department's end-of-year reception on Friday, May 3.
RULES FOR SUBMISSION
- All seniors graduating in Summer 2018, Fall 2018, or Winter 2019, and affiliated with any department at the University of Michigan, are eligible to submit a translation.
- Students may choose to translate into English any literary text (or excerpt of a literary text) that was originally written in another language and in any literary genre (e.g. fiction, poetry, drama, creative nonfiction).
- A submission should consist of your translation (no more than 10 pages), and a brief translator's preface (no more than 5 pages) that introduces the text and author you have chosen and explains your method of translation. If you have worked significantly with previously available translations, glosses, or commentaries, please note these in your translator's preface. Make sure your submission references all texts and tools you have used to produce your translation (i.e. other translations you have consulted, translation software you may have used, etc).
- Please submit your translation in the following format: an email listing your name, your graduation date, your major(s) and minor(s), and the complete title, author, and language of the original text you have translated, and an email attachment without your name that includes your translator's preface and your translation, along with a copy of the text you have translated in its original language.
- Your submission should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm on Tuesday, April 16, 2019.
- For questions, please contact Katie Colman in the Department of Comparative Literature, 2021 Tisch Hall, University of Michigan. You may also contact the translation advisor, Silke Weineck, at email@example.com