- Career Exploration
- Departmental Funding
- Departmental Forms
- Senior Thesis and Honors Programs
- Study Abroad
- Student Organizations
- Transfer Credit
- Undergraduate Research
- Information Sessions
- Senior Reflections
I was accepted! What class will I recieve a permission for?
- Students with an overall GPA <3.4 and/or a major GPA <3.5 recieves permissions for the senior thesis seminars - COMM 451 during fall, and COMM 452 during winter.
- Students with an overall GPA >3.4 and a major GPA >3.5 recieves permissions for honors thesis seminar - COMM 491 during fall and COMM 492 during winter.
A student enrolled in COMM 451 (senior thesis seminar) may get a permission to enroll in COMM 492 (honors thesis seminar) winter semester if the student's overall GPA >3.4 and a major GPA >3.5 by the end of fall semester. COMM 492 is required to graduate with honors.
For student who qualify for HONORS grading notation based on their overall GPA and Communication and Media GPA, the grading scale is laid out below.
There are 3 grading categories: Excellent, Excellent/Outstanding and Outstanding.
Excellent - Any honors thesis that is acceptable is at least excellent. Most theses fall into this category and genuinely are excellent.
Excellent/Outstanding - Used to denote theses that are significantly better than the average completed thesis but not quite outstanding.
Outstanding - It is the rare thesis that is rated outstanding, perhaps only one per year and sometimes none.
Awarding of Honors in the major
A minimum overall GPA≥3.4 is requireed to be eligible for honors.
In addition, program honors designations are assigned at the end of Winter term based on the student's Communication and Media GPA and the student's thesis grade. The program honors designation are Highest Honors, High Honors, or Honors.
The major honors designations and guidelines are as follows:
If the thesis is rated as Unacceptable or if the Communication and Media GPA<3.5, no honors designation is earned in Communication and Media.
Thesis is rated as Outstanding and:
- Communication and Media major GPA≥ 3.70, then Highest Honors in Communication and Media are awarded, or
- Communication and Media GPA≥ 3.5 but <3.7, then High Honors in Communication and Media are awarded
Thesis is rated Outstanding/Excellent and :
- Communication and Media major GPA≥ 3.90, then Highest Honors in Communication and Media are awarded,
- Communication and Media major GPA≥ 3.7 but <3.9, then High Honors in Communication and Media are awarded
Thesis is rated as Excellent,
- Communication and Media major GPA≥ 3.90, then High Honors in Communication and Media are awarded,
- If the Communication and Media GPA≥ 3.5 but <3.90, then Honors in Communication and Media are awarded
Please note that there is also the college honors designation (Highest Distinction, High Distinction, or Distinction) which is determined simply by overall grade point. Both honors designations appear on the student diploma.
Archiving your thesis in the University of Michigan's Deep Blue electronic archive
The Senior Thesis Program would like to recognize the significance your scholarship by making it permanently available to the academic community through depositing your thesis in the University of Michigan’s Deep Blue electronic archive.
Participating in this program has many benefits; most importantly, your work is permanently accessible to scholars around the world. It is also a great resource for current UM students, giving them examples to set the standard for their work. Additionally, permanent archiving of your senior thesis may be useful to you in your career and post-graduate work.