- Career Exploration
- Commencement Ceremony
- Departmental Awards
- External Resources
- Major in Communication Studies
- Major FAQs
- Major Policies
- Major Requirements (Effective Fall 2017)
- Michigan Association of Communication Studies (MACS)
- Senior Thesis Program (formerly Honors)
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Credit
- Undergraduate Fellows Program
- Undergraduate Research
- What Can I Do with a Comm Studies Degree?
The Communication Studies Undergraduate Fellows Program provides COMM students the opportunity to be ambassadors of the department, to receive academic credit, and to gain hands-on experience planning an annual academic symposium.
Applications for the 2019-20 school year are closed.
Program Application Procedures
The Department of Communication Studies Undergraduate Fellows Program is designed to support and stimulate undergraduate students’ interest in the field of communication studies. The Fellows Program welcomes any qualified incoming juniors or seniors interested in cultivating the Communication Studies Fellows community, and committed to becoming an active member of the department.
Acting as department ambassadors, Fellows will undertake a variety of tasks, all of which promote Communication Studies. Highlights include engagement with distinguished alumni, volunteering for a celebration for newly declared COMM majors, planning an academic symposium, and representing the department to the campus community.
Why should you apply for the Fellows Program?
- You are interested in leaving your mark on U-M Communication Studies
- You want to form a network of peers and professionals that could help you in your future career
- You are interested in current events and how they impact the campus community
- You want to develop mentoring relationships with faculty members
- You want experience with event planning and launching a successful conference
- Name your own reason! You may have your own objectives that you want to achieve from the Fellows program
Fellows Program Benefits
- Mentorship from faculty
- Earn 1 credit hour per semester towards LSA requirements
- Competitive advantages for departmental funding opportunities
- Opportunity to organize an annual academic symposium
- Membership in an exclusive community of undergraduates committed to Communication Studies
- Recognition from the department in publications and on the department website
Fellows Program Requirements
- Attend bi-monthly meetings each term, Wed: 5:30 - 7:00 PM
- Attend public Communication Studies events
- Assist with annual academic symposium
- Declared juniors or seniors
How to Apply
You will be asked to submit a statement of purpose in the online form and your resume (via email).
1. Resume with anticipated graduation date. Please send resume (in PDF format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: FELLOWS APPLICATION (Last Name, First Name)
2. Statement of Purpose explaining why you are a good candidate for the Undergraduate Fellows Program
Program Contact Information
For questions or more information, contact: