- Research Groups and Labs
- Aggression Research Group
- Conflict Research Lab
- Environmental Communication Lab
- Global Media Studies Initiative
- Internet, Communication, and Civic Engagement Research Group
- Media and Development Lab
- Media Psychology Lab
- Media Studies Research Workshop
- Mobile Communication Collective
- Political Communication Working Group
- Project on Big Data Innovation and Governance
- Research Strengths
- Faculty Fields of Study
- Marsh Center for the Study of Journalistic Performance
- Research Opportunities for Students
The Global Media Studies Initiative (GMSI) is an innovative cross-disciplinary research center at the University of Michigan. It serves as a global hub for academics, students, media practitioners, and others to explore and discuss media and communication technologies, cultures, and industries in an international, comparative, and historical fashion.
Housed in the Department of Communication Studies, and drawing on expertise from other departments and centers at the University of Michigan, GMSI’s research and teaching address a range of topics including: creative and cultural Industries; global media events; media, culture, and identity in global contexts; digital infrastructure studies; and the communicative affordances of media and information technologies. Through symposia, research workshops, lectures and other activities, GMSI provides collaborative research opportunities for graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and faculty.
Global Media Studies Initiative aims to:
- Foster collaborative research projects.
- Generate research and teaching resources for scholars and students worldwide.
- Cultivate research networks devoted to global media and communication research.
- Organize workshops and conferences.
- Support publishing cutting-edge research and policy memos, articles, and books.
- Provide students with global research and work experience.
Faculty and Students from other Departments
Seyram Avle - Research Investigator and Research Fellow, School of Information
Padma Chirumamilla - Graduate Student, School of Information