Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Study Abroad

Students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of programs in Italy, Greece, England, France, and the Middle East. Information about study abroad opportunities is provided each year by the concentration advisors.

Study abroad programs are widely available for undergraduates who wish to pursue their interests in the classical world "on site." Summer programs usually last from three to six weeks, or there are programs offering semester-long courses over the fall and winter.

Information about study abroad opportunities is provided each year by the concentration advisors, through a combination of e-mail and periodic meetings. Interested students are encouraged to make contact with their advisor as soon as possible to begin the planning process. Students should also consult with Michigan’s Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS). The CGIS office is located at:

Suite 200, Weiser Hall
500 Church St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Important Information

When you think about study abroad, remember to consider:

  1. U-M-sponsored program: Students electing to participate in a program administered through LSA’s Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) earn in-residence credits (you remain registered at the University of Michigan during your time abroad), may use financial aid awarded through U-M, and are eligible for various scholarships and fellowships through CGIS. Tuition arrangements vary among programs.
  2. Program administered by another American university or college: Students participating in programs sponsored by other American universities are not registered at U-M and instead receive transfer credit for their work; they are not eligible for financial aid through U- M. Transfer credit is awarded by the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions upon receipt of an official transcript from the sponsoring university.
  3. Direct enrollment at a foreign educational institution: Students may elect to apply and enroll directly at a foreign university or study center. While this may be the least expensive option, drawbacks are that students may find themselves completely on their own, without orientation to the host university, and without support staff to assist them in selecting classes and finding housing. Students considering this option should check with the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions in advance to be sure that they can be awarded transfer credit for work done at the host institution.


For general information about study abroad programs:

Study abroad programs in which Michigan undergraduates have recently participated:

Department Funding

For information on departmental funding opportunities, see Grants and Scholarships for Undergraduates.