“His was a singularly beautiful life.”
The story of Chemistry professor Edward DeMille Campbell has been compellingly told by UM writer Kim Clarke as part of the UM Bicentennial Heritage project.
He was blinded by a laboratory accident in 1892. Yet two weeks later he was back in the classroom. Campbell taught and conducted research as a Michigan faculty member for another 33 years. He published 77 scientific papers, including 74 after losing his sight. He taught the first Chemical Engineering classes at Michigan and oversaw the construction of the new Chemistry Building in 1909.