- Explore CGIS Programs
- Getting Started
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Health and Safety
- Identities Abroad
- Preparing to travel
- For your family
- Incoming Exchange Students
- City: Amsterdam
- Term: Fall, Winter, Academic Year
- Instruction in: English
- Requirements: Students must be a Junior or Senior by program start date
- Students interested in: Anthropology, Communication Studies, Dutch Language, Gender and Health, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology
Examine society, politics, and culture in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Explore museums, bike to class, and boat the canals in this easily accessible city. Enroll in courses through the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) and at the University of Amsterdam. Students take 3 to 4 courses, totalling 15 credits. Instruction is in English with an optional Dutch-language course.
Take 1-2 CIEE Study Center classes such as Intercultural Communication and Leadership in Amsterdam, Contemporary Dutch Social Policy, Dutch Public Health, or Beginning Dutch. Choose from a wide variety of subjects at the University of Amsterdam including political science and international relations, gender, sexuality, and society, and development and social geography. A limited number of humanities courses are also available. Volunteer to teach English to children in local Amsterdam primary and middle schools, or join a local interest group. A homestay with a local family provides a truly immersive experience.