- Explore CGIS Programs
- Getting Started
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Health and Safety
- Identities Abroad
- Preparing to travel
- For your family
- Incoming Exchange Students
- City: Auckland, Christchurch
- Term: Fall, Winter, Spring
- Instruction in: English
- Requirements: A moderately high degree of physical fitness including ability to swim competently, participate in overnight hikes, and work outside for extended periods in all weather
- Students interested in: Biology, Earth and Environmental Sciences; EEB, Environment, Environmental Geology, Sustainability
Semester: Frontiers Abroad designs and leads fieldwork and research programs in earth and environmental sciences. The unique program includes field camps in remote locations across New Zealand and the Cook Islands. Semester students may select from two tracks: Geology of New Zealand or New Zealand Earth Systems. In addition, students may choose to study in Auckland or Christchurch.
Spring: Students choose between the Geology Field Camp and the Earth Systems Field Camp, each worth 5 credits. Christchurch on the South Island is the perfect base from which to explore the mountains and wilderness of New Zealand, while Auckland is the country’s cosmopolitan center. Students participate in a packed itinerary, from volcanic mapping exercises on Mount Ngauruhoe to studying whale migration on the Kaikoura Coast. Students stay in fully furnished apartments in both locations.