Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Passports and Visas

CGIS Photo Services:

CGIS offers free passport and visa photo services to LSA students who plan to apply for CGIS programs. Come by our office (Weiser Hall, 2nd floor) during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm unless otherwise indicated on our website) and ask for assistance at our front desk!



How do I apply for a passport?

If you have never applied for a passport before, then you must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility. You will need to bring several documents with you when you apply.

Where do I get passport photos?

Unable to drop by the CGIS Office? Near the Ann Arbor campus, Walgreens and CVS provide passport photo services for a small fee. The Michigan Photography office in the basement of the LSA Building (Room B0246) also offers passport photo services.


Whether you need a visa depends on the country to which you’re traveling and how long you intend to stay. If you need a visa, note that the cost to obtain a visa also varies by country. Do not procrastinate on applying. If you have questions about the process, contact your program advisor immediately.

If you’re an international student and the country to which you are traveling requires a visa, you must apply. Your US student visa will not get you into other countries that require visas.

Visas are not optional. If you need a visa to enter a country, they will not let you into the country without it. The US Department of State website has many useful resources for questions about visas.