Below you will find scholarships that can be applied specifically to CGIS programs if you are an eligible LSA student. Please note that CGIS does not facilitate these scholarships, however, our advisors are able to walk you through the application process.
The LSA Study Abroad Scholarship
The LSA Scholarship Office has worked with CGIS to ensure that students who are in good academic standings can apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship. 95% of LSA Students receive anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000 depending on program costs and financial need.
To be eligible for an LSA Study Abroad Scholarship, a student:
- Must be an undergraduate currently enrolled full-time and pursuing a degree program (or MDDP) in the College of LSA.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (i.e. possess a green card).
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid.
- Must have a FAFSA and CSS profile on file with the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) and must renew their FAFSA annually.
- Must be participating in U-M programs abroad through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS).
Students may not be eligible for scholarships if their graduation date is prior to or during their travel abroad.
In addition to meeting the above eligibility requirements, LSA students awarded a study abroad scholarship will be required to complete the following:
- A Thank You Survey. Students are required to share their study abroad experience with their scholarship donors through a thank you survey after they return from their travels.
- Volunteer service. Recipients will be asked to volunteer at the CGIS Study Abroad Fair, which occurs in October of each year.
- Minimum credit hours. During their time abroad, scholarship recipients must complete a minimum of 67% of all credit hours each semester. If students do not successfully complete these requirements, their scholarship will be retroactively canceled, and it will impact their eligibility to receive scholarship support in the future.
Are you an LSA Pell Grant recipient? Apply for the GCC/GIEU Grant!
All LSA Pell Grant recipients who participate in a GCC/GIEU can receive the GCC/GIEU Grant. The grant pays the entire program fee for GCC/GIEU but they must apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship. Applicants will also be considered for other scholarships that cover travel expenses.
All LSA students who are not Pell Grant recipients should apply to be considered for scholarship assistance for the GIEU program fee and travel expenses. To apply, go to the LSA Scholarship Website: lsa.umich.edu/scholarshipsNon-LSA Pell Grant recipients students may be eligible for similar funding through their college or through external scholarships.
Pell-eligible students studying abroad for 4 weeks or more should also consider applying for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. An external resource generously funded by the US Department of State, the Gilman program offers awards up to $5,000 for students with demonstrated financial need.