- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Announcing the 2022 Leadership Certificate Cohort!
- Welcome the 2021-22 Mindful Leader Fellowship cohort!
- BLI Peace Leadership Retreat in Detroit
- BLI director awarded the Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Award
- Seithur Sanitation Initiative receives the MLK Spirit Award
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Feedback is Love
- Deepening the Foundations for Equity and Renewal
- Creating Leaders – Being a Peer Facilitator at the BLI
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Kaitlyn Colyer
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Mya Harris
- What's Happening in the Lab
- The Leadership Certificate at the University of Michigan: Cohort 1
- Archived News
- All Events
The Leadership Certificate (LC) at the University of Michigan piloted its first-ever cohort in January 2022 with 15 students across 5 schools/colleges and 11 different majors. Students participated in events with campus partners to engage in intercultural development, anti-racism, professional development, and writing sessions. These student leaders reflected on their on-campus co-curricular, curricular, and service-learning leadership experiences which include the ALA 174/175 courses, being a student employee or peer facilitator, and the BLI’s Capstone or MLEAD’s LeaderShape programs. Five of our cohort members fulfilled all of their program requirements and received their LC medallion upon graduating.
We present the 2022 Graduates Leadership Philosophies,
Darica Brazier, Psychology, Entrepreneurship, Medical Sociology
Vision and innovation are essential for missions to succeed and transformation to occur. I strive to motivate myself and my team towards transforming our goals and missions into success through the promotion of diversity, integrity, and ambition. I am committed to envisioning challenges as new opportunities for knowledge and growth, and am determined to provide my team with the necessary tools for skill development through creative exploration and my initiative towards goal achievement.
Kaitlyn Colyer, Organizational Studies
A leader must carry out their responsibilities generally over the course of two steps: discovery and delegation. Leaders must discover and articulate all that needs to be done in order to ensure the success of the group or organization, then delegate it to others or to themselves. A leader must be honest, transparent, and committed to being assertive in the face of interpersonal problems. However, leaders must ALWAYS prioritize their well-being first, and must engage in self-compassion and mindful practices to achieve the aptitude necessary to achieve organizational success.
Sydney Moore, Psychology, Economics, Writing
I aspire to live in a world of possibility rather than one of measurement: one where I focus on relationships, using bibliotherapy practices to foster a sense of shared experience. In this approach, I will strive to hold an innovative, growth mindset where my vision crafts a general context and then lets opportunities flourish by inviting others to share in my passions. In particular, I plan to continue pursuing the art of storytelling and how its emotional impact can be applied to the field of business in a positive manner.
Alaa Shahin, UX Design, Entrepreneurship
My philosophy is embodied by Mother Teresa's quote, "It's not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving". This quote represents my lifestyle because I believe that giving is not just an action, it is a lifestyle. Whether it’s an hour of your day, a nice word to a person who’s had a hard day, or simply a smile on your face, can make a huge difference in others' lives. Giving with love is much more valuable in my life. I believe spreading love among people will allow them to adopt healthier lifestyles around the world.
Magda Wojtara, Neuroscience
I believe that great leaders do not simply create followers, but work to develop the skills and confidence of other leaders that go on to serve other communities. I expect to listen to all team members and to respect the value of time and work-life balance. I will lead with the goal of seeking to understand and leveraging the perspectives, skills and experiences of other members of my team.
The Leadership Certificate more than doubled in size for the second cohort with 32 student leaders across 6 schools/colleges and 20 different majors, which is set to begin in Fall 2022. In response to data collected and constructive feedback from our pilot cohort, the LC is transitioning to a two-year program in which its core buckets (co-curricular, curricular, and service-learning) remain in place but will additionally include four themed-social events where cohort members can practice their collaborative leadership skills in concurrence with their individual growth.
In partnership, the Barger Leadership Institute (LSA) and M-LEAD (Student Life) have built a leadership certificate program that utilizes research from the field of undergraduate leadership studies to create a framework that brings together existing leadership coursework and experiences across campus. As the first and only certificate offered at the University of Michigan, we have curated an accessible pathway for you to learn, develop and reflect on your leadership experience at the University of Michigan. Learn more about the certificate program.