- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Announcing the 2022 Leadership Certificate Cohort!
- Welcome the 2021-22 Mindful Leader Fellowship cohort!
- BLI Peace Leadership Retreat in Detroit
- BLI director awarded the Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Award
- Seithur Sanitation Initiative receives the MLK Spirit Award
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Feedback is Love
- Deepening the Foundations for Equity and Renewal
- Creating Leaders – Being a Peer Facilitator at the BLI
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Kaitlyn Colyer
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Mya Harris
- What's Happening in the Lab
- The Leadership Certificate at the University of Michigan: Cohort 1
- Color of Care Reflection
- Mindful Leader Retreat Recap
- Archived News
- All Events
We are appalled by the growing Anti-Asian violence since May. Violence against Asian Americans has increased exponentially - 3800 reports since last May (i.e., approximately 1 incident every two hours!). The Atlanta shooting epitomizes the growing Anti- Asian violence and racism in America. This is a real existential threat for Asian/Asian Americans. BLI strives to nurture a "beloved community," envisioned by MLK where care, compassion, interdependence, and dignity are its defining core values. In that spirit, we stand in solidarity with our Asian/Asian American students during these difficult times. I also urge you to reach out to your friends who are Asian Americans and Asian international students and offer your support. Please feel free to contact me or any of our staff if we can be of help. UM is organizing several events addressing growing violence against Asian Americans since the pandemic. I encourage you to attend and learn about the "invisibility" of racism against Asian/Asian Americans.
-Ram Mahalingam, BLI Director
Yesterday's interviews with U-M faculty and students.
Message from President Schlissel which includes links and links to resources.
Vice Provost of Equity & Inclusion and Chief Diversity Office Rob Sellers statement speaking out against this act of violence.
List of upcoming events:
Thursday, March 18
12:00 - 1:00pm
Anti-Asian Racism and Asian American Activism during Covid-19 Pandemic with Dr. Melissa Borja (American Culture)
Friday, March 19
APID/A Self-Care Community Conversation
For members of the Asian, Pacific Islander, and Desi-American Communities
Tuesday, March 23
2:00 - 3:00pm
Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) Community Conversations: Processing through Anti-Asian Racism
Friday, March 26
10:30am - 12:00pm
Contextualizing Violence Against Asians and Asian Americans Within the History of US Relational Racism
Anne Cheng, Professor of English and American Studies, Princeton
Madeline Hsu, Professor of History, University of Texas at Austin
Dylan Rodríguez, President, American Studies Association (2020-21); Professor of Media & Cultural Studies, UC Riverside
Frances Wang, Journalist, activist, poet, artist; Intermittent Lecturer, American Culture, University of Michigan