- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Announcing the 2022 Leadership Certificate Cohort!
- Welcome the 2021-22 Mindful Leader Fellowship cohort!
- BLI Peace Leadership Retreat in Detroit
- BLI director awarded the Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Award
- Seithur Sanitation Initiative receives the MLK Spirit Award
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Feedback is Love
- Deepening the Foundations for Equity and Renewal
- Creating Leaders – Being a Peer Facilitator at the BLI
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Kaitlyn Colyer
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Mya Harris
- What's Happening in the Lab
- The Leadership Certificate at the University of Michigan: Cohort 1
- Color of Care Reflection
- Mindful Leader Retreat Recap
- Social Transformation, a Passionate Community of Scholars
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Break Away Podcast
- BLI Weekend in Detroit
- Leadership Lens with Olivia O'Connell
- Leadership Lens with Becky Woolf
- Leadership Philosophy Reflection
- Senior Reflection, Renuka Murthi
- Dignity and Well-being in the Workplace: A French Perspective
- BLI – Year One
- Teaching Leadership, a Senior Reflection
- Archived News
- All Events
Three sections of the lab are implementing a total of 13 Leadership Lab team-based projects, all addressing our Big Questions, topics ranging from mitigating social disparities to promoting sustainable environmental behavior. Several teams rapidly adapted their plans to address concerns directly related to the pandemic and are focusing their efforts on projects such as UM Mental Health Online and Sustainable Behavior: the COVID-19 edition. The achievements and resilience of each participant in the lab are significant and a testament to the acts of leadership playing out on campus and throughout the world during these unprecedented times.
A multi-faceted mentorship platform for high school students to help students feel welcome and supported during an important transition in their life, and give them access to resources surrounding financial literacy
UMich Food Survival Guide
To improve food accessibility and nutrition knowledge for students, faculty, and staff at Umich through a Facebook page that offers tips on how to prepare food, buy food, grow food, or any other nutrition-related facts. Follow their Facebook page through the link above!
International Student Sustainability
Educate international students about the difference between recycling, composting, and disposing trash correctly via educational pamphlets and giving a short presentation and/or video demonstrating where disposal facilities are located on campus, how to correctly dispose of material, and how the material can be reused.
Multicultural Food Festival
To create an in-person or online event that promotes the various multi-cultural organizations on campus with food.
Flexible Education, Employable Skills
To provide a platform for students of lower socio-economic status to find and access online courses/certificates that have assisted individuals in finding employment. The platform will serve as a centralized, accurate database for hosting information on online courses to increase education equity.
Balanced Diet Education
Maize, Blue, & a Healthy You
A newsletter to improve education surrounding perceptions of health in the Michigan community, specifically addressing the question: what does it mean to be healthy? Balanced Diet Education created 2 volumes of their newsletter which you can read through the link above.
Not Being Rich at UM
A presentation that composes compact information for the low-income student community. It consists of resources about the following topics: academic, professional, social, financial, and bonus tips surrounding thrifting, groceries, and sustainability.
Waste Management and Sustainability
Increasing the awareness of sustainable behaviors by adding the sustainable and waste management information on the Michigan App and create further awareness with a reusable product giveaway.
UM Mental Health Online
A website to offer a comprehensive space where mental health resources through UM, student groups, and other organizations can be easily accessible. You can find University, student group, and media resources all in one place. Check out the site in the link above!
Women in STEM Speak Out Event
To create a trauma-free space for women in STEM to gather and share their stories while finding a sense of belonging within the larger STEM community.
Sustainable Behavior: The COVID-19 Edition
An Instagram account to promote at-home sustainability practices during the COVID-19 lockdown, and inspire people to make a positive impact on the world through sharing creative and helpful tips. Give them a follow at the link above!
The Lookout Project
Creating a non-profit institution that provides overdose education and naloxone distribution to current and formerly incarcerated individuals to help them, their families, and the community at large.
Mindful Mindset Journaling
Mindful journaling project based on Ram Mahalingam’s Mindful Mindset and its 7 tenants including Compassion, Wonder, and Negative Capability.