- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Announcing the 2022 Leadership Certificate Cohort!
- Welcome the 2021-22 Mindful Leader Fellowship cohort!
- BLI Peace Leadership Retreat in Detroit
- BLI director awarded the Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Award
- Seithur Sanitation Initiative receives the MLK Spirit Award
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Feedback is Love
- Deepening the Foundations for Equity and Renewal
- Creating Leaders – Being a Peer Facilitator at the BLI
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Kaitlyn Colyer
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Mya Harris
- What's Happening in the Lab
- The Leadership Certificate at the University of Michigan: Cohort 1
- Archived News
- All Events
The first week in May kicked off the BLI annual Capstone Boot Camp. The design of this five-day virtual training is to prepare student teams for their eight-month Capstone experience. Each day hosted activities designed to grow the teams' capacities in project planning, research and assessment, working with communities, and teamwork. Over the week, they met esteemed mentors working in various fields who shared their expertise, knowledge, and guidance and helped teams refine their project plans.
We genuinely value all the supporters who shared their time and experience with our students during the week, including,
BLI director Ram Mahalingam led Introduction to Contemplative Practices. Teams gained an understating of why contemplative practices are beneficial, learned various ways to engage in contemplative practices, and experience a guided meditation.
Carrie Landrum and Savannah Currier from the Office of Student Conflict Resolution headed a workshop for teams to learn various methods of navigating conflict and exploring different communication styles.
BLI Graduate Assistants Sarah Stilwell and Amanda Ajrouche facilitated a Research Methods Workshop to ensure students understand the fundamental goals of research and successfully identify which evidence collection method(s) best aligns with their project needs.
Brendan Gallagher and Kelsie Thorne from the Ginsberg Center led Engaging and Exiting Communities Respectfully. This workshop introduces principles and practices for thoughtfully engaging with communities, including motivations, the impact of social identities, and strategies for engaging in reciprocal, ethical, and respectful ways.
Krista Schulte and Lisa Earls from the Operational Improvement Team conducted an A3 problem-solving training, teaching the teams a structured problem-solving and continuous improvement approach.
Kate Helegda, Joe Pierce, and Sarah Snay with the School of Social Work Evaluation Group led Defining & Measuring Success which focused on how evaluation differs from research, crafting questions to measure outcomes, and identifying indicators.
On the final day of the boot camp, the teams presented their A3 to the cohort and a group of esteemed panelists – Ram Mahalingam, Director of Barger Leadership Institute, Adan Hussain, Director of First Generation Initiatives, Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives, Sheela Lal, Strategic Business Manager, Tata Consultancy Services, Ben Eikey, Manager of State Training and Communications, Wayne State University and Rashi Watwani, Former Capstone student. They engaged in round-robin break-out rooms where the team met individually with a panelist who provided individual feedback and advice.
The BLI is grateful to have such remarkable support within our UM community, our local community, and beyond for the Capstone program. Please read more about the teams' experiences and reflections on our Student Voices Blog.