- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Announcing the 2022 Leadership Certificate Cohort!
- Welcome the 2021-22 Mindful Leader Fellowship cohort!
- BLI Peace Leadership Retreat in Detroit
- BLI director awarded the Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Award
- Seithur Sanitation Initiative receives the MLK Spirit Award
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Feedback is Love
- Deepening the Foundations for Equity and Renewal
- Creating Leaders – Being a Peer Facilitator at the BLI
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Kaitlyn Colyer
- M-LEAD Leadership Lens Feature: Mya Harris
- What's Happening in the Lab
- The Leadership Certificate at the University of Michigan: Cohort 1
- Color of Care Reflection
- Mindful Leader Retreat Recap
- Social Transformation, a Passionate Community of Scholars
- The Michigan Difference Student Leadership Awards
- Break Away Podcast
- BLI Weekend in Detroit
- Leadership Lens with Olivia O'Connell
- Leadership Lens with Becky Woolf
- Leadership Philosophy Reflection
- Senior Reflection, Renuka Murthi
- Dignity and Well-being in the Workplace: A French Perspective
- BLI – Year One
- Teaching Leadership, a Senior Reflection
- Archived News
- All Events
This winter, two sections of the lab worked on a total of 11 team-based projects, all addressing our Big Questions, topics ranging from mitigating social disparities to promoting sustainable environmental behavior. The achievements of each participant in the lab are significant and a testament to the acts of leadership playing out on campus.
Winter 2022 Teams
Team: Billionaire Boys Club
Members: Erin Petrov, Jazmin Bolden, Nate Chavez, Ashley Bouse & Yash Chaudhary
Project Overview: Hosting power hour events with entrepreneurs geared toward women and underrepresented populations. They aim to create space through a Power Hour event where women and underrepresented groups are welcomed to learn about startups from guest speakers and have the opportunity to present their own startup projects or ideas. These events will provide resources regarding not only startups but also topics including financial literacy and how to break into sectors that are male-dominated.
Team: Increasing Gym Accessibility
Members: Arvin Yaple, Elena D’Souza, Houston Hemphill, Ruhul Islam
Project Overview: Create QR codes for some beginner resistance training exercises and post them in the fitness facilities on campus and in the dorms. Their target audience is novice gym users and beginners to exercise who might be intimidated by the free weights section of the gyms. By having these exercise tutorials available outside the fitness facilities, they hope to increase beginners' confidence and knowledge about weight training, so they can comfortably work out in the gyms and increase their physical activity. QR code on the posters takes users to a doc on Google Drive with videos and difficulty ranking for free weight exercises at the gym.
Team: Podcast Hub
Members: Abby Liang, Kian McDonough, Eileen No
Project Overview: Create a hub for podcasts that exist on UM campus. The Hub is hosted on a Google site, and the team posted QR codes on flyers around campus.
Team: Creating Community
Members: Rohit Soman, Vivian Liagre
Project Overview: Foster well-being and resilience and strengthen connections between communities. The plan is to host a community event for students living in off-campus housing to connect people that might not otherwise cross paths within a geographic area.
Team: Compost Availability and Practices at UM
Members: Gwen Tatara, Priyank Patel, Rashmi Nair, Autumn Kucharczyk & Kush Nautiyal
Project Overview: Increase composting efforts across campus, with hopes to construct a community garden in the diag. Students understand that they collectively can do better, but lack the knowledge and resources to compost. This team led a public education campaign surrounding composting by creating a guide for logos on bins, tips on how to, and ways to spread the knowledge.
Team: Clothing Drive
Members: Conner Chinavare, Vivuan Ho, Veronika Senzer, Tyeah Tyner, Hadley Fischer
Project Overview: Mitigate social disparities by providing free clothing to low-income students. This project also promotes sustainable environmental behavior by avoiding fast fashion and reusing clothing and reallocating to communities that really need it. Their plan was to host a clothing drive and collect donations at residence halls and distribute them to students in need at an event in the Union.
Team: Care Packages for CSP Students
Members: Teondria Anderson, Janaye Jones, Ryan Noble, MaKenzee Van Buren
Project Overview: Create and distribute care packages for underrepresented students on campus.
Team: Cyber Safety Team
Members: Lex Doty, Ella Mahmoodzadegan, Samuel Sannieniola, and Porvesh Balasubramanian
Project Overview: Their goal was to create a resource guide about cyber safety for students here at UMich. To do so, they created/sent out a survey to students about their knowledge of cybersecurity. They then based their guide upon their survey results.
Team: Addressing Sustainability on campus: circular consumption
Members: Kaitlin Clark, Hannah Nguyen, Brianna Murphy, Aidan Barron, Zoe Denbow
Project Overview: Create a pamphlet covering important facts about fast fashion - what it is, how it impacts people and the environment, and avenues we can pursue to make a change.
Team: Helping Students Exercise
Members: Sydney Perez, Amy Mawi, Nayetzy Munoz, Cynthia Fout, Kaltri Hoxha
Project Overview: Improve physical health for low-income students who are staying on campus over spring and summer terms by hosting exercise classes and reducing barriers to rec facilities access.
Team: The Cross Club Connection Initiative
Members: Justin Colorundo, Olivia O' Connell, Brandon Smith, Chloe Fan, Angelique Leon
Project Overview: Foster inter-community connections using a DEI framework.