- All News
- Search News
- BLI announces a new Access Opportunity
- Barger Leadership Institute is moving!
- BLI Announces New Partnership with The London Idea
- Former Jet Blue CEO donates $10 million to Barger Leadership Institute
- BLI Hires a New Assistant Director
- BLI to Co-Host ‘Extreme by Design’ Film Screening, Discussion
- BLI awards Small Grant for Halfway Hijabi event
- BLI Launches New Capstone Experience
- BLI Launches New Fellows Program Structure
- Keep Calm and Lead On
- BLI Fellow Wins Wolverine Tank Pitch Contest
- BLI Congratulates Mya Haynes
- BLI Alumni Receive 2015-2016 Fulbright Honor
- The 2018 London Ideas Project is Announced
- Congrats to BLI partner Sandra Levitsky for being awarded the Golden Apple!
- Congrats to BLI Fellow and Peer Facilitator Elisabeth Benham
- Tales of Leadership: The Advanced Fellows Journey
- Welcome to the 2018 Capstone Cohort!
- BLI welcomes new director!
- BLI Across the Pond
- BLI Hosts Voting Guru Nancy Thomas
- Ram Mahalingam's award winning film to be screened at two film festivals.
- The Capstone Experience with the Migrant Education Initiative
- The Mindful Leader - Becoming an Engaged Leader
- A Weekend of Mindful Leadership
- Introducing the 2019 Capstone Teams
- The Peer Facilitator Experience
- Dinners with...
- BLI Students Start Small and Dream Big in Detroit
- From Freshman to Senior Year -- Four Years of Leadership Learning
- BLI Speaker Series: Food For Thought
- BLI Director, Ram Mahalingam featured in the Record
- Capstone Bootcamp 2019
- In a Distracted World, Solitude is Practice for Tomorrow’s Leaders
- A Conversation on Mindfulness, Bias and Racial Justice — a podcast with Ram Mahalingam
- The Mindful Leaders Retreat — Laying a Foundation
- Being a good leader is knowing when to practice gratitude
- Channeling Mindfulness
- Compassionate Leadership: Creating a Just, Inclusive and Mindful Society with Mirabai Bush
- Dinners With...
- Announcing Capstone 2020 Teams!
- Meet our 2020 Leadership Lab Teams!
- Leading Mindfully
- A Senior's Reflection on Peer Facilitating
- Expect Challenges
- Reflecting Back and Looking Forward
- From Leadership Lab, to Peer Facilitator, to Program Assistant
- Project Healthy Schools Global
- Learning to be an Effective Leader
- Leading Life with Dignity: A Challenge of Our Time
- Pause, Reflect, and Create
- What's Happening in the Lab?
- Capstone 3D Virtual Gallery
- Announcing the Break Away Podcast!
- BLI Advanced Fellow featured in M-LEAD's Leadership Lens Series!
- Two BLI Advanced Fellows Receive the Renowned MLK Spirit Award
- Stand Against Asian Violence
- BLI Hosts Alumni Panel
- Announcing the BLI's 2021 Capstone Cohort
- BLI Offers COVID-19 Hardship Grants
- ALA 175: Foundations in Leadership
- The Peer Facilitator Leadership Experience
- What's Happening in the Lab
- Capstone Boot Camp 2021
- Mindful Leader Reflection
- Learning to Lead with Compassion: A Mindful Leadership Retreat
- Okanagan Charter
- Foundations in Leadership, a Peer Facilitator Perspective
- Heart-Centered Leadership with Rebecca Irby
- Archived News
- All Events
The BLI Dinner with series offers a valuable opportunity for Leadership Fellows to enjoy a dinner with a BLI stakeholder, community leader, and/or U-M alum to get a behind the curtain view of their leadership journey. Dinner attendees build community, share leadership interests, and cultivate meaningful connections in an informal setting.
The series kicked off in November when the BLI had the opportunity to host Senator Stephanie Chang. Through the 2-hour conversation with Senator Stephanie Chang, students connected with her through their shared UM experiences and discussed how to develop negotiation skills, navigate multiple identities, fight for social justice and positively impact one's community.
The dinners continued with notable guests including, Jeff Hall, UM alum and founder and president of Second to None; Dave Barger, co-founder of JetBlue Airways and co-founder of BLI; Anne Curzan, Dean of LSA; and Mirabai Bush, co-founder and former director of the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society. Here are a few takeaways from the events,
"From my experience (Dave Korus and Jeff Hall) in the "Dinner with," I've learned just how valuable an hour or two of listening and learning from an alumnus really is. You never know where a conversation might go, but you are guaranteed to walk away with more than a few new lessons learned and values to live by. The "Dinner with" series is a prime (and low-stakes) opportunity to work on your active listening skills and learning how to ask meaningful questions. Alumni that participate in this event are so excited to talk with students and are very willing to share insights into their career and life. There are few better learning opportunities on campus!"
Joseph Coates, Data Science, Mathematics 2021
Dinner with Stephanie Chang
"I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to have dinner with Senator Chang. I learned so much from our time together, and am now inspired to look deeper into politics and its impact on society"
Daijha L. Morrow, Organizational Studies 2020
Dinner with Jeff Hall
“It was fantastic to be part of the dinner with Jeff Hall… Jeff is a great role model and I learned so much about servant leadership, mindfulness, and the logistics of starting a business.”
Heather Burrum, Kinesiology 2022
"Jeff's success as an entrepreneur and his positive managerial style are truly inspiring; his journey and experiences provide a tangible narrative to see BLI Habits and Positive Organizational Scholarship in action."
Hyun-Soo Seo, Organizational Studies 2020
Dinner with Dave Barger
"Dave Barger provided us with unique insight on how to practice love within the workplace and towards ourselves — a message that frequently gets lost in today's fast-paced society."
Alexandra Wormley, Psychology, History 2020
"My biggest takeaway was the importance of building a positive community and finding a place to work where I feel valued and heard. I will take these lessons with me on the job search and beyond!
Lillie Heyman, Public Policy 2020