Scholarships for 2021 Conference
Please submit your scholarship application after you have registered and
received the confirmation for your $50 deposit payment.
In addition, you should not pay your final payment until scholarships are assessed and
we can determine the correct final balance for you.
A limited number of partial scholarships will be offered to writers who plan to attend the 2021 virtual Bear River Writers’ Conference. The awards will be made at the discretion of the Scholarship Review Board based on the merit of the work.
Bear River merit scholarships are provided through the generous support of the University of Michigan Department of English and our anonymous donors.
NOTE: All deposits will be non-refundable, regardless of award outcome. Any scholarship amounts awarded will be applied to the final conference payment due.
Applicants should submit a manuscript for consideration by our scholarship review board of up to 10 pages of fiction or nonfiction or up to 8 pages of poetry. Prose manuscripts must be double-spaced.
- The page number should appear on each sheet of the manuscript
- Include a short synopsis if your manuscript is excerpted from a longer project
- Please send your strongest unpublished work
- Please do not send newspaper journalism or academic writing
- Please do not include your name anywhere on your submission or in the attached file name
- Attach your manuscript as a Word doc or PDF
- Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to return submitted materials
- Attendees are only allowed to submit ONE scholarship application. Multiple submissions for multiple genres will not be considered
Email your Bear River registration form and your scholarship submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to apply as early as possible.
The application deadline is March 15, 2021.
We hope to send notifications by Monday, April 16, 2021.