Scholarships for 2023 Conference
Please submit your scholarship application after you have registered and
received the confirmation for your nonrefundable $25 deposit payment.
In addition, you should not pay your final payment until scholarships are assessed and
we can determine the correct final balance for you.
A limited number of partial scholarships will be offered to writers who plan to attend the 2023 Bear River Writers’ Conference. The awards will be made at the discretion of the Scholarship Review Board and will attempt to amplify the voices of those who come from traditionally underrepresented communities and/or those with particular financial hardships.
Bear River scholarships are provided through the generous support of the University of Michigan Department of English and our anonymous donors.
NOTE: All deposits will be non-refundable, regardless of award outcome. Any scholarship amounts awarded will be applied to the final conference payment due.
Applicants should submit a manuscript for consideration by our scholarship review board of up to 10 pages of prose (fiction or nonfiction) or up to 8 pages of poetry. Prose manuscripts must be double-spaced.
- Submit a one page, double spaced statement of eligiblity and what you hope to gain from attending the BRWC
- Include page numbers and author's name on the submission
- Include a short synopsis, if your manuscript is excerpted from a longer project
- Please send your strongest unpublished work
- Please do not send newspaper journalism or academic writing
- Attach your manuscript as a Word doc or PDF
- Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to return submitted materials
- Attendees are only allowed to submit ONE scholarship application. Multiple submissions for multiple genres will not be considered
Email your Bear River registration form and your scholarship submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to apply as early as possible.
The application deadline is May 15, 2023.
We hope to send notifications by May 30, 2023.