Scholarships for 2018 Conference
Please submit your scholarship application after you have registered and
received the confirmation for your $100 deposit payment.
In addition, you should not pay your final payment until scholarships are assessed and
we can determine the correct final balance for you.
A limited number of full or partial scholarships will be offered to writers who plan to attend the Bear River Writers’ Conference. The awards will be made at the discretion of the Scholarship Review Board based on the merit of the work.
Bear River merit scholarships are provided through the generous support of the University of Michigan Department of English and our anonymous donors.
NOTE: All deposits will be non-refundable, regardless of award outcome. Any scholarship amounts awarded will be applied to the final conference payment due.
Applicants should submit a manuscript for consideration by our scholarship review board: (1) a brief (less than 250 words) personal statement explaining your interest in the scholarship and conference and (2) up to 10 pages of fiction or nonfiction or up to 8 pages of poetry. Prose manuscripts must be double-spaced.
- The applicant’s name and page number should appear on each sheet of the manuscript
- Include a short synopsis if your manuscript is excerpted from a longer project
- Please send your strongest unpublished work
- Please do not send newspaper journalism or academic writing
- Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to return submitted materials
Email your Bear River registration form and your scholarship submission to firstname.lastname@example.org:
We encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Notifications will be sent on Monday, April 2, 2018.