The Department of Asian Languages and Cultures participates in the LSA Summer Language Institute during the Spring and Summer terms. Courses in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are typically offered. Intensive first- and second-year language courses condense two terms of language study into a ten-week format. They provide an excellent means for the students to prepare for a study, internship, or work abroad experience, graduate school, or for expanded career opportunities. The courses draw on materials created by experts in the field and allow for regular application of the theories and methodologies learned in class.
Spring and Summer 2022 information is posted on the College's SLI website (lsa.umich.edu/sli).
Applications are typically due by the end of March. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis prior to the first day of class if there is seat availability and with the instructor's approval.
Please send questions about courses and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have mailed application materials to the department, please let us know.
- ASIANLAN 103.201 - Intensive First Year Chinese
- ASIANLAN 203.201 - Intensive Second Year Chinese
- ASIANLAN 127.201 - Intensive First Year Japanese
- ASIANLAN 227.201 - Intensive Second Year Japanese
- ASIANLAN 137.201 - Intensive First Year Korean
- ASIANLAN 237.201 - Intensive Second Year Korean
Types of Admission
SLI courses are open to all types of students: enrolled UM undergraduate/graduate students, senior-standing high school students, members of the community, UM professors and staff, and others.
Students who choose this option plan to take the SLI course for transcript/university credit. They will pay tuition and will have the course and the grade earned recorded on a University of Michigan transcript at the conclusion of the course.
UM students wishing to take a course for credit should email ALCemail@example.com to apply. The email should include the following:
- student's full name
- UM ID number
- language background (if any)
- a brief explanation of what course they wish to take and why
Non-UM students interested in taking a course for credit should visit lsa.umich.edu/sli for more information on the application process.
Admitted credit/tuition students will receive an override for official registration.
Students who choose this option do not want to receive any credit and simply want to gain proficiency in the language. They will pay a program fee (posted by credits on the SLI website) and receive a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course. No transcript proof of enrollment in the course will be available.
Students (both UM and non-UM) wishing to take the course as program fee/not for credit through the LSA Summer Language Institute should see lsa.umich.edu/sli for more information on the application process.
Admitted not-for-credit/program fee students will not officially register. The instructor will manually add the students to the course's Canvas site.
2022 Course Times
June 1-August 10, 2022
- ASIANLAN 103: Monday-Friday 9am-12pm EST; remote instruction
- ASIANLAN 203: Monday-Friday 9am-12pm EST; remote instruction
- ASIANLAN 127: Monday-Friday 9am-12:30pm EST; remote instruction
- ASIANLAN 227: Monday-Friday 9am-12:30pm EST; remote instruction
- ASIANLAN 137: Monday-Friday 9am-12pm EST; in-person instruction
- ASIANLAN 237: Monday-Friday 9am-12pm EST; blended instruction