Language exams are for University of Michigan students who are planning on furthering their language study (place-in) or want to test out of a language requirement (place-out). Registration is required for some of the exams and is noted below with the test date information. Questions regarding exams should be directed at the listed contact person. Students should bring a valid UM ID card to the exam with a pencil.
The listed exam dates below represent the available dates in the most current term. Test information for Fall term is initially updated on the site in early June, with locations finalized by early August; test information for Winter term is updated on the site in late November. ALC only offers Chinese and Japanese language exams for incoming freshmen in the summer months.
After taking an exam, students are notified by the language program of their scores.Test scores are also uploaded into Wolverine Access within seven business days and, therefore, visible to School/College administrators. Questions about language waivers, receiving credit for an exam, etc. should be directed to a student's general advising office.
- Placement exam results are valid for one year. Students who do not enroll in the language course appropriate to their placement within one year of their test date may be required to retake the placement test.
- If you have no prior knowledge, you should not take the proficiency test but should enroll in the first semester of the language.
Non-UM Ann Arbor students who require a proficiency exam should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chinese Language Tests
March 18, 2020
Purpose: place-in or place-out
Location: North Quad Room 1500 - Language Resource Center - PC and Mac Rooms
Registration Required (REGISTER HERE)
For more information on Chinese language exams, visit the Chinese Language Program web page.
Chinese contact: Kening Li (email@example.com)
Japanese Language Tests
January 7, 2020
Purpose: Place-in and place-out, computer based
Location: 1500 North Quad (Language Resource Center) PC Lab
Registration Required: No
Japanese contact: Mayumi Oka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Korean Language Tests
Purpose: Place in or place out
- Online Registration: The link to online registration becomes available on this page a month prior to the on-site exam.
- Online Exam: Information about the online exam will appear upon completion of the online registration. The online exam must be completed in order to take the on-site exam.
- On-site Exam: The on-site exam takes place at 1500 North Quad (Language Resource Center), PC and Mac Classrooms, unless otherwise specified. The following dates are available for 2019-2020
- Monday, November 4, 2019, 5:30-7:00 PM
- Monday, March 16, 2020, 5:30-7:00 PM
Registration required by March 15, 2020. REGISTER HERE
Korean contact: Soyeon Kim (email@example.com)
South Asian Language Tests
November 15, 2019
Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Tamil
Purpose: Place-in or place-out
Location: Angell Hall Auditorium B
Registration Required by November 11, 2019 (REGISTER HERE)
Please email Syed Ali (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions regarding this exam.
For a placement exam in Sanskrit or Tibetan language, please contact the department at email@example.com.
Southeast Asian Language Tests
Place-in and Place-out language exams are by appointment only. Please email the contact person to set up a time for an exam.
Filipino contact: Oliva Kuester (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Place-in and Place-out language exams are by appointment only. Please email the contact person to set up time for an exam.
Indonesian contact: Agustini (email@example.com)
Place-in and Place-out language exams are by appointment only. Please email the contact person to set-up a time for the exam.
Thai contact: Aimkamon Bunmee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
January 10, 2019
Time: 3:00-5:00 PM
Location: Mac Computer Lab - Language Resource Center (1500 North Quad)
A Vietnamese language place-in or place-out exam is offered each Fall and Winter semester. For additional information on the Vietnamese language exam, including the date and location of the exam, please click here. Please contact Thuy-Anh Nguyen (email@example.com) with any questions.