Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Writing Requirements

The Sweetland Center for Writing oversees both of the College’s writing requirements (First-Year and Upper-Level). Any exceptions or special arrangements for either requirement must be approved by Sweetland.

Using Transfer Courses for First-Year Writing

Transfer students who have taken a writing course at another college or university may be able to use that course to satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement. Transfer students should consult the list of approved and denied courses from other schools. If your school or course is not listed on either the approved or denied list, and you want to have it evaluated, you can fill out the Petition for Transfer Course Credit form.

Using an Honors Thesis for Upper-Level Writing

If you are completing an honors thesis, you can opt to count it toward your Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR) by filling out an Honors Thesis Intent Form and submitting it to the Honors Office, 1330 Mason Hall.

Other Special Arrangements for Upper-Level Writing

If you have a minimum of 100 completed credits and want to take a non-approved course to fulfill your ULWR, you can fill out an Individual Arrangement Petition and submit it to Sweetland in 1310 North Quad. Petitions are due one week before the drop/add deadline of the semester in which you wish to elect the course and must be approved by Sweetland administrators.

If you need assistance or have questions, contact the Sweetland Center for Writing.