Personal statements, statements of interest, or graduate school application essays all require you to reflect upon your experiences and accomplishments as an undergraduate as you plan your next steps. The College of Literature Science and Arts provides several resources and supports for writing these statements.
Writing Consultants at Newnan
In collaboration with pre-law, pre-health, Honors, and other expert advisors, Writing Consultants at Newnan support students in the writing and reflection work necessary to craft excellent application essays for graduate, law, and health-professional schools. We are here to help with your transitions beyond the University of Michigan, reflecting upon your Michigan Experience as a whole. (NOTE: The Writing Consultants at Newnan do not address writing for undergraduate opportunities, such as internship essays or student employment cover letters.)
Getting Started with a Writing Consultant
- View the Canvas tutorial "Personal Statements 101." It will help you avoid common pitfalls and introduce you to practices that will produce more impactful first drafts.
- Make an appointment with a Writing Consultant at Newnan by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email your drafts (Google Docs or Word) to the Consultant, at least 48 hrs in advance of appointment.
- Please send no more than two essays (~ 1000 words) per appointment
- Please include the prompt for each essay at the head of the document as well as character or word count limits.
The LSA Opportunity Hub
Coaches at the LSA Opportunity Hub are available to help you with personal statements as well as other wrap around services focused on your next steps.
Sweetland Peer Writing Center (Online & eTutoring)
Students like you are available to discuss your personal statement through the Sweetland Peer Writing Center . Read here to make an appointment . (NOTE: the Writing Workshop does not review personal statements. Be sure to schedule with the Sweetland Peer Writing Center)