Welcome to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. We look forward to meeting you at Orientation. Most information about Orientation (including a detailed schedule) can be found on the Office of New Student Programs (ONSP) website, but this page will share some information unique to LSA.
How to Register for Orientation
Once you officially reply to your U-M acceptance letter and have paid the university deposit, the next step is to register for an Orientation session. If you haven’t, or if you’re not sure if you’ve registered for an Orientation session, please contact ONSP.
Before You Arrive
You will receive emails from ONSP prior to your Orientation date with detailed information and a link to the MyAdvising. Please complete all required tasks, including the online placement exams.
What to Expect
Orientation is a busy program, as we try to provide you with lots of information and answer all of your questions. While you’re with us on your Advising Appointment Date, you will:
- Meet other LSA students.
- Work with an Orientation Advising Team of LSA Academic Advisors and Academic Peer Advisors to get your questions answered.
- Attend a large Group Orientation Session to learn about a liberal arts degree and its requirements.
- Meet in smaller groups with Academic Peer Advisors to start building your schedule.
- Learn how to use the online course guide and registration system.
- Register for classes! Most students leave Orientation with a full and complete schedule, but we will teach you how to make changes later if you wish.
Important Note: As registration and orientation season continues, there will be several of your top choice classes that are closed. First-year students at U-M often have the most flexibility in their schedules so many class options will be beneficial in the first semester. There will be ample opportunity in future semesters to take different courses.
You do not need to come to Orientation with a planned course schedule but having courses in mind is helpful. We encourage you to look over the online LSA Course Guide before coming to Orientation, but please don’t feel pressured to have the perfect schedule before your Advising Appointment Date. Your Orientation Advising Team will help you make good decisions to set you up for success. Come to Orientation with an open mind and intellectual curiosity and you’ll leave with a schedule that will be a great start to your Michigan experience.
If you have questions about Orientation, check out our Orientation FAQ page. If you don’t find the answer to your question there, give us a call at 734.764.0332.