Many departments use MailChimp to send newsletters, announcements and other email campaigns. In this section you will find information on setting up campaigns using standard MailChimp templates. After your department website launches in AEM you will receive an email with the updated banner image you will need to upload to your template to keep a consistent look and feel between your website and your newsletter.
For help with the initial set up of newsletters in MailChimp, please download the MailChimp Newsletter Manual. You will find information on how to set-up lists, create templates and campaigns and how to use the reporting tools built in MailChimp.
If you have questions about the initial set up of MailChimp, please schedule an Open Lab session. When filling in the sign up form, please add MC after your name, so we can assign the appropriate team member to assist you.
What is the difference between Templates and Campaigns?
Templates are a saved email design and the layout for the content. Campaigns are the newsletter content.
- You can create one or more templates
- Templates can be reused in multiple campaigns
- You can create templates before you create Campaigns
Can I create template defaults for font color and styles?
Yes! In the template builder, next to the Content tab, is a tab called Design. You can set font colors & style, link colors, line height, padding, borders, background color and more.
You may also be interested in the LSA Color Palette.
How do I create a list?
MailChimp has a step-by-step guide with videos on how to create or import lists.
How do I export email addresses from MCommunity?
- Navigate to the MCommunity Group
- Export Members CSV File of email address in that group
- Downloading Member list
Things to Note:
- It’s important to import individual email addresses instead of using group emails
- If using group emails if one person unsubscribes it can unsubscribe the whole email group
- You must be an owner of the group to export the email addresses
How do I build a Campaign?
MailChimp has a step-by-step guide with videos on how to create campaigns.
How do I input content into a newsletter?
MailChimp offers a step-by-step guide including videos on how to input content.
Commonly used image and component sizes
Image Requirements and Size
- File size should be less than 1MB
- Use PNG or JPG formats
- RGB mode instead of CMYK
Commonly used component sizes
- Header: 600px
- Body area (with sidebar): 350px
- Sidebar: 160px
How important are the unsubscribe links?
Every campaign sent through MailChimp must include a link to an unsubscribe form, as required by law.
MailChimp automatically inserts a gray footer into your campaign with the required information including an unsubscribe link, though the footer is completely customizable.
How do I preview a newsletter before I send it?
MailChimp has a section that includes videos on how to preview newsletters.
How do I make a newsletter more accessible?
It’s important to make sure web content is accessible so that people with disabilities can access, perceive, and interact with that content.
- Use Descriptive Subject Lines
- Maintain a Logical Structure
- Use Headers
- Use Color Contrast
- Don't Hide Information in Images
- Use Proper Alt Text for Images
- Use Meaningful Link Text
- Lynda.com - University Access
- Creating and importing lists
- Build a campaign
- Image requirements
- Build templates
- Schedule a newsletter
- Analyzing reports
- Accessibility in Newsletters
- MailChimp Knowledgebase
- Schedule a time in Open Lab (don’t forget to put MC after your name)
- Google Campaign Builder to add tracking codes to the end of web addresses