On Learn it! Do it! Days museum educators staff hands-on stations around the Museum. Students explore these stations in small groups, participate in hands-on activities, experiments, and presentations, and keep some of the products they create.
All programs are $8 per student and chaperone.
Watch live Monarchs and see how they travel through each stage of their lifecycle. Look closely at butterfly and moth wings. Metamorphose when you make wings of your own!
- Key Concepts: life requirements, classification, life cycles, structures and functions
- Grades K-3
- Upcoming Dates: May 11 and 12, 2017
Wild Weather Extravaganza
Build a working weather station, explore extreme weather, travel through the water cycle. This program includes a brief visit to our planetarium to learn about space weather.
- Key Concepts: changes in weather, severe weather, weather instruments, water cycle
- Grades 1-4
- Upcoming Dates: February 3, 2017, and March 15, 2017
See live animals!
Join the Museum and our special guest, Leslie Science and Nature Center, to learn about animal classification, habitats, food chains and predator-prey relationships.
- Key Concepts: classification, structures and functions, habitats, food chains
- Grades K-5
- Upcoming Dates: March 17, 2017
Learn the differences between rocks and minerals, find out what minerals hide in everyday objects, learn how earthquakes happen and touch a two-billion year old rock! This program includes a brief visit to our planetarium for a look at the forces that shape our active planet.
- Key Concepts: rock cycle, types of rocks, minerals, erosion, plate tectonics, fossils
- Grades 2-6
- Upcoming Dates: March 22, 2017
Water, Water Everywhere!
Explore the hydrosphere, the properties that make water special, and the water cycle. Take a close look at pond water under a microscope and test water quality.
- Add a 45 minute planetarium show, Oasis in Space, $2/person (special price withWater, Water Everywhere!).
- Key Concepts: water cycle, water properties, water quality
- Grades 2-7
- Upcoming Dates: March 24, 2017
World History Through Archaeology
Join researchers from the Museum of Anthropological Archaeology and the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology to learn about prehistoric and ancient cultures. Discover how we know what ancient people ate, when agriculture began, and even what games people played. • Add a 45-minute planetarium show, Stars of the Pharaohs, $2/person (special price with World History Through Archaeology).
- Key Concepts: early civilizations, agriculture, evolution
- Grades 6-12
- Upcoming Dates: March 10, 2017
Have a large group and need a different date?
Book your own Learn it! Do it! Day! Not all topics are available for private dates; call for details and availability.