Information can be found under the links below. For additional information, please contact the physics graduate program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective students are encouraged to contact faculty members directly in order to learn more about specific research groups. However, admission decisions are made solely by our admission committee.
The minimum requirements for admission are:
- A bachelor's degree in physics or a related discipline.
- The GRE general test (the additional physics subject test is strongly recommended)
- For non-native English speakers: proof of English proficiency, eg. A ToEFL test.
1. Undergraduate Degree Requirement
No minimum undergraduate GPA is required, nor do we impose any specific course requirements.
The necessary grounding for the program is the equivalent of a full undergraduate physics major. This typically involves solid intermediate-level courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermal and statistical physics, and quantum physics as well as some study of applications in the context of modern physics. Research experience is not a requirement, but it is an asset.
The Rackham Graduate School generally insists on undergraduate degrees of at least four years nominal study. However, the Physics department will request exceptions for students with equivalent preparation.
2 GRE tests
We have no minimum requirements for scores on these standardized tests, but scores are considered along with all the other aspects of the application. Both the general GRE and the Physics GRE Subject Test are required.
The ETS code is 1839.
3. Language Requirement
Applicants who have earned an undergraduate degree from an institution where the medium of instruction is English are exempt from submitting a language test.
For students with no exemption we require a minimum ToEFL score of 90.
In addition to the online application form, a complete application includes the following elements:
- Statement of purpose: goals for graduate school and beyond, research interests and experience, etc.
- Personal Statement: personal details appropriate for evaluation of the application. This is sometimes very short.
- Test scores: GRE general, GRE physics (recommended), and English-language proficiency score (if applicable)
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Transcript from undergraduate university. Mail to:
Rackham Graduate School Admissions
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
- Application fee
- Domestic Applicants - $75
- International Applicants - $90
Note: the Physics Department does not grant application fee waiver requests.
The application deadline is December 15, 2015. (Midnight EST). The online application system will be disabled at the deadline.
The preliminary review of applications will be initiated shortly after the deadline. All supporting materials must be received by January 4, 2016.