- Summer Hopwood Contest
- The Hopwood Award Theodore Roethke Prize
- Hopwood Underclassmen Contest
- Graduate and Undergraduate Hopwood Contest
- The Academy of American Poets Prize
- The Bain-Swiggett Poetry Prize
- The Michael R. Gutterman Award in Poetry
- The Jeffrey L. Weisberg Memorial Prize in Poetry
- Roy W. Cowden Memorial Fellowship
- The Kasdan Scholarship in Creative Writing
- The Arthur Miller Award
- The Marjorie Rapaport Award in Poetry
- About Our Judges
Two awards of $100 are offered by this national organization for poems submitted by University of Michigan students. One prize will go to a graduate student, the other to an undergraduate. No specific form is suggested for this contest, which was endowed by Mrs. Sharon A. Galley in memory of her late husband, David Galley, a 1966 graduate of the University of Michigan.
Rules of Eligibility
The award is open to all University of Michigan students with no particular course or hour requirements. Only one poem may be submitted in the contest. The following restrictions apply:
- The same poem shall not be entered in any other fall term poetry contest including the Hopwood Underclassmen Poetry Contest, with the exception of the Cowden Fellowship Contest.
- No student who has won this award may compete again in the contest, nor may a winning poem be subsequently entered in any other Hopwood Program Contest, with the exception of fellowship/scholarship contests.
- No poem that has been published in a medium other than a college or high school magazine or newspaper may be entered in the contest.
If you receive need-based financial aid and would like us to delay payment until the beginning of spring term (May) so your award won’t alter your current financial aid allocation, please indicate that on the entry form.
Entries should be in 10-12 point font, with a left-hand margin of 1.5 inches, in PDF format. A contestant must use a pen name--entirely different from his or her real name. This name should only appear on the title page, nowhere else in the manuscript. Please make sure the pen name in your profile matches the one in your manuscript. The same pen name must be used for all fall term contests.
The PDF must have a title page on which shall appear:
- The title
- The pen name
- The contest (e.g., Academy of American Poets Prize--Graduate Division)
The deadline for submission is absolutely no later than December 6, 2017, by 12 noon. Be advised that all contest deadlines are enforced to the minute. The winners will be announced at the Hopwood Underclassmen Awards Ceremony in January.