The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program offers several different programs throughout the Academic Year designed to assist University of Michigan undergraduate students on the Ann Arbor campus to discover the world of research through collaborations with U-M researchers. Students participating in the program are called research assistants and work alongside a faculty member, research scientist or professional practitioner on an ongoing or new research project.
Fall-Winter Program Requirements
Regardless of which program students are participating in, all students are:
- Required to conduct research with a UROP Sponsor
- Assigned a peer advisor who they meet with on a regular basis
- Required to attend seminars meetings in addition to conducting research
- Apply directly to faculty sponsors (with the aid of a peer advisor and UROP staff liaisons) to projects the STUDENT finds interesting and engaging
- Are responsible for scheduling their own research hours around the rest of their academic schedule
The UROP freshman application for 2017-2018 will open in mid-May 2017.
The UROP sophomore application is now available.
Early decision deadline: March 27, 2017. After March 27th applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
You are eligible to apply for UROP if you will be a sophomore and/or beginning your 2nd year at the University of Michigan in Fall 2017. In addition, you can NOT have participated in UROP or MRC during the Fall 2016/Winter 2017.