The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) creates research partnerships between undergraduate students and University of Michigan researchers. All schools and colleges are active participants in UROP, which provides a wealth of interesting research topics for program participants. UROP started with 14 student/faculty partnerships in 1988, and has expanded to include more than 1300 students and 800 faculty researchers.
For University of Michigan Undergraduate Students
- For first and second year students a research experience supervised by a research sponsor academic year from September through April. Includes mandatory research seminars and assignments.
- Summer Research Fellowship programs provide a 10 week, full time independent research experience.
- There is undergraduate funding support for research supplies, travel support to conduct research or present research at a conference, or presentation of a creative performance.
For University of Michigan Researchers and Community Partners
- Researchers can receive research support from undergraduate research assistants. UROP pays student wages, provides academic credit options and manages paperwork.
- Supplementary funding for out of pocket expenses incurred with sponsoring a UROP student(s).