Are you a faculty member, graduate student, or post-doc interested in sharing your research with the general public? Become a Science Communication Fellow! The U-M Museum of Natural History uses the NSF-supported Portal to the Public guiding framework to bring scientists and public audiences together in face-to-face interactions that promote appreciation and understanding of current scientific research.
To become a Fellow, scientists participate in two free professional development workshops focused on building the skills to effectively engage public audiences. With guidance from Museum program staff, Fellows develop meaningful, inquiry-based and materials-rich table-top activities that showcase their research then share these activities with the public at two or more Museum events.
- Workshop One: How People Learn – Friday, September 22, 2017, 2:00-5:00 p.m. (We will make accommodations for religious conflicts on this day)
- Workshop Two: Prototyping Your Activity – Sunday, October 15, 2017, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Fellows facilitate their activities for the general public during two of the following events:
- Scientist Spotlight – October 22, 2017 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Scientist Spotlight – November 12, 2017, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Dinosaur Discovery Day – December 2, 2017, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and/or 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Scientist Spotlight- December 30, 2017, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and/or 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Winter/Spring 2018 school and community outreach events, dates TBD
- Museum Science Communication Fellow certificate, for reference in a C.V., commending commitment to science communication and public engagement.
- Consultation and assistance in writing broader impact plans to fulfill grant and other outreach requirements.
- Opportunities to network with other scientists and researchers committed to public engagement as well as with education professionals.
- Complimentary Museum membership. As a Museum member, you’re entitled to: Free admission to more than 300 museums and science centers around the world, free Planetarium passes, a 20% discount in the Museum Store, invitations to members-only events and exhibition openings, and more!
To submit an application click the button below. Application deadline for Fall 2017 is September 15, 2017. Questions can be directed to Alicia Comer, email@example.com