- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- SHM Subplan
- SHM Minor
- Curriculum and Courses
- Transfer Credit & Study Abroad
- Project Community
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Research Opportunities
- Honors Program
- Financial Aid Resources
- Student Organizations
- Writing Awards
- Major of the Month
SHM Subplan Requirements
Students have the option of adding a subplan in Sociology of Health & Medicine to their Sociology major. Courses in the SHM subplan offer students a coherent curriculum that emphasizes the socio-demographic, cultural, political, and ethical dimensions of health behavior and health policy.
- To have a notation of the subplan completion appear on your transcript, you must declare the subplan and successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours from the list of approved courses.
- A minimum of eight credits must be elected in the SHM subplan at the 300-level or above (excluding prerequisite).
List of approved SHM subplan courses:
- SOC 207: Sociology of Suffering
- SOC 225: Project Community-Public Health sections
- SOC 230: Health & Population in South Africa
- SOC 330: Population Problems
- SOC 345: Sociology of Sexuality
- SOC 346: Sociology of the Body
- SOC 430: World Population Dynamics
- SOC 475: Medical Sociology
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics
- appropriate topics in SOC 295, 394 (SURO), 395 (Independent Study), 396 (Internship), or 495
A maximum of six credits for the SHM sub plan may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. Students with a subplan in Sociology of Health & Medicine are not permitted to also elect a minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine.