What the scholarship supports
Students studying abroad through an LSA Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) program, who need money to defray housing, travel, or program costs.
Amounts and duration
One-time awards between $500 and $10,000, depending on program costs and level of financial need.
Students can apply for the scholarship when they apply to their CGIS program. Deadlines vary depending on the term of travel.
Student applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be students pursuing a degree program in the College of LSA
- Must be participating in UM programs abroad through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid
- Students may not be eligible for scholarships if their graduation date is prior to or during their travel abroad
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (possess a green card)
- Students must apply for scholarship at the same time they apply to their CGIS program.
- CGIS Program Applications can be found through M-Compass.
- LSA Study Abroad Scholarships can be found through a SEPARATE link below.
- Once a student is accepted to their CGIS study abroad program, they will need to complete a Study Abroad Financial Aid Request form that they will need to complete and submit to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Students are required to share their study abroad experience with their scholarship donors through a thank you survey after they return.
- Recipients must complete five hours of service through the CGIS office.
- During their time abroad, scholarship recipients must complete a minimum of 67% of all credit hours each semester. If students do not successfully complete these requirements, their scholarship will be retroactively cancelled, and it will impact their eligibility to receive scholarship support in the future.
Financial Aid Abroad
For more information about the types of financial aid that apply to a specific program, visit the OFA. Please contact OFA with any questions you may have about the financial aid available for your program. The office is located in the Student Activities Building (2500 SAB) and can be reached by phone at 734.763.6600.
Follow this link for Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions from the Office of Financial Aid.
LSA Study Abroad Scholarship Open Dates
Academic Year: Open October to February 1
Fall: Open October to February 1
Winter: Open March to September 15
GIEU: Open August to November 5
GCC: Open August to December 15
Spring/Summer: Open October to February 1