The Department of Screen Arts & Cultures offers a variety of awards focusing in three areas: scholarly research and writing; film, video, television, or digital media production; and screenwriting.
Proposals for awards will be judged using three basic criteria: the merit/quality of the proposed project, the quality of the past work as indicated by the sample work submitted, and the clarity and completeness of the application. Each of these criteria will be given equal weight in the judging of the proposals. A student's GPA in the SAC major will also be a factor in the awards adjudication.
The University of Michigan, through the Department of Screen Arts and Cultures (SAC) and Instructional Support Services (ISS), provides, on-loan to students registered for University courses, the equipment necessary to produce high-quality student projects. Funds are granted for unavoidable expenses. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, that can be justified, requests for special equipment will NOT be funded. Examples of special equipment include items such as prime lenses, special dollies, and high-end cameras, such as the “Red” camera. The SAC Awards Committee places emphasis on a student’s creativity and resourcefulness in funding and making their work.
Awards & Grants Deadlines
Late applications will not be accepted and incomplete applications will be disqualified. The uploading system will be shut down at 4 PM on the day of the deadline.
- October 14, 2016 - Garrison, Webber Glover
- February 17, 2017 - Garrison, Preston, Webber Glover, Cohen and Beaver* (See note on Guidelines for Applying for Awards & Endowments.)
- April 10, 2017 - Vennema Fund and Winer Internship* (See note on Guidelines for Applying for Awards & Endowments.)
- April 18, 2017 - Benedek* Screenwriting Awards (See note on Guidelines for Applying for Awards & Endowments.)
- TBA - Webber Glover
- TBA - Winer Internship (See note on Guidelines for Applying for Awards & Endowments.)