PitE students who are members of student organizations can apply for funding to help offset costs of attending a conference, completing a community project/activity, or hosting a campus event. Students can apply for funding any time during the academic year. Funds are disbursed on a rolling basis.
The application must be submitted by a declared PitE major or minor. Student groups are eligible to receive funding from year to year, and must submit a new application each time they request funding.
Funds to student groups are not funded if the group:
· does not have any PitE students actively participating in the event/activity
· has already received group funding from PitE for the current academic year
· members intend to use these funds towards their Practical Experience requirement for PitE
Important to Note! A PitE student is not eligible to receive both individual academic enrichment funding AND student group funding in the same academic year. In other words, if a student receives funding through student group funding, they are not eligible to receive individual academic enrichment funding in the same academic year. Students who are interested in planning to do multiple experiences must carefully consider which funds they would like to receive in a given year. PitE advisors can often help students determine which funding might be more beneficial, and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Can These Funds Be Used?
This funding can be used to offset the following expenses (this is not an exhaustive list):
· Conference registration or fees
· Travel (i.e. gas money)
· Housing or lodging
· Research expenses (e.g. books, or equipment rental costs)
Additional Awarding Criteria
The decision to award funds will be based on the following criteria:
1. How well activity/event relates to and enhances PitE’s mission and
2. The group’s unmet need and percentage of declared PitE students in the group
When To Apply
Plan Ahead! These funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Requests are reviewed on a monthly basis. Students should apply for funds at least 6 weeks prior to needing the funds. It can take several weeks to process requests. Once awarded, PitE will notify the group and disburse funds directly into the student organization’s SOAS account.
After Funds Are Received
A month after the experience, the student group will follow up with PitE by sending a brief 500-word write about their experience and 2-3 pictures of the group during the trip or activity. The write up should include a brief summary, what the group enjoyed most, and how the group benefited from this experience. These materials should be send to the advisor in PitE who administers scholarships.
Additional Information Needed When Requesting Funds
A PitE student must complete the online funding request form below. Student groups will be asked to provide the following information:
· Description of the event or activity and how it relates to PitE’s mission
· The group’s unmet need: the single dollar amount needed to participate in the activity/event
· A budget outlining the group’s total anticipated expenses and current plans to cover these expenses
· The student group’s SOAS account number