- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- Physicist Steven Cundiff Elected as Fellow of AAAS
- Observing the Dance of Ten Million Quantum Dots
- Physics Professor Tim McKay Explains ECoach Tool Now Used for All First-Year U-M Students
- Physicist Mark Newman's Scientific Cartogram Maps Featured in Washington Post
- U-M Physics Professor Tim McKay Developed Coaching Software to Help Students
- 11 Surprising Predictions for 2017 From Some of The Biggest Names In Science
- New Metamaterial Can Switch from Hard to Soft—And Back Again
- Physicist Lu Li and Team First to Uncover Rotational Symmetry Breaking in Magnetic Property of Unconventional Superconductor
- Physicist Michal Zochowski Collaborates with LSA Professor Sara Aton for ‘The Science of Sleep’
- Next-Gen Dark Matter Detector in a Race to Finish Line
- Physicist Roberto Merlin Selected as 2017 OSA Lippincott Award Recipient
- All Events
- Special Lectures
- K-12 Programs
- Saturday Morning Physics
- Seminars & Colloquia
Bradford Orr, Professor and Chair of the Department of Physics is honored for outstanding contributions to undergraduate education as one of this year’s recipients of an Arthur F. Thurnau professorship.
Professor Orr has a record of curricular innovation within the Department of Physics that has earned him numerous teaching awards including the LSA Excellence in Education Award, the Lockwood Distinguished Instructor Award, and the 2010 Provost's Teaching Innovation Prize. Everyday Physics, a course he created in 1993, now is the most popular within the department, and students enthusiastically promote its influence on their academic careers.
Later on, as chair of the department, Professor Orr initiated a comprehensive overhaul of the introductory honors course sequence, integrating computational methods and doubling enrollment. Professor Orr also has assumed leadership roles in the development of academic support programs including the Learning Assistant Program, and he has served as a mentor at all levels.
Click here to learn more about Professor Orr.
-Adapted from the University Record Update on 2/17/12