Students must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for the India Internship Initiative:
- Students must be pursuing an undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Graduate students or students at other universities or U-M campuses are not eligible to apply.
- Students must be returning to U-M Ann Arbor as enrolled students in the fall semester following the internship. Graduating seniors are not eligible to apply.
Requirements of the Program
If you are placed in an internship abroad through the India Internship Initiative, you must complete the following requirements at the stated times:
At any point before or during your internship, you must:
- Inform the LSA Global Opportunities team and the company you were placed with if your plans change in any way, such as if your internship dates change or if you decide not to participate in the III at all.
- Read all emails from the LSA Global Opportunities team and the company you are placed with and respond/act in a timely manner, if response or action is required.
Prior to departing for your internship, you must:
- Attend the LSA Global Opportunities Pre-Departure Meeting, which is usually held after the end of winter semester classes on a day that does not have final exams scheduled.
- Complete all pre-departure health and safety requirements in M-Compass. For more information about these requirements, please refer to the page about Health & Safety.
- Ensure that you obtain necessary work authorization for the country you are traveling to, if applicable, such as a visa.
During your internship, you must:
- Blog at least one time per week during your internship (on the LSA Global Opportunities blog, which is viewable by the public).
After your internship, you must:
- Attend the LSA Global Opportunities Reunion Meeting, which is usually held after the start of fall classes.
- Produce a poster board about your experience to present at the LSA Global Opportunities Showcase, which is usually held in October following the internship.
How to Apply
Students apply for the III through M-Compass. Before you start your application, decide on your first, second, and third choice positions to apply for, as you will create a separate cover letter and resume for each position. Materials for each position should be saved in separate PDFs. You may only apply for three positions. Review the positions here.
October 15: Priority deadline. Students who apply by the end of the day on this date will be guaranteed consideration for the positions for which they applied.
January 15: Final deadline. Students who apply by the end of the day on this date may be considered for the positions for which they applied, but consideration is not guaranteed, as the position may have been filled by students who applied by the priority deadline.