- Undergraduate Math Courses
- Major and Minor Programs
- Research and Career Opportunities
- Awards, Scholarships, and Prizes
- Extracurricular Activities
- Frequently Asked Questions
Graduates of the University of Michigan Department of Mathematics have gone on to successful careers in law, medicine, politics, and business, as well as every aspect of science, computer science, technology, and, of course, mathematics itself. Some have chosen to pursue further education, but many others have taken interesting and challenging positions in industry, business, and government directly after graduation.
Careers in Mathematics
- Math among top jobs in 2015
- Mathematics ranked among top jobs in 2014
- Mathematics ranked among top jobs in 2013
- Careers in Mathematics—MSRI
- Careers in Mathematics - SIAM
- Good Choices for Great Careers in the Mathematical Sciences by Mac Hyman
- Mathematics yet again ranked among the best in the country - January 4, 2011
- Mathematics again ranked among the best in the country - January 6, 2010
- Mathematics ranked best job in country! January 5, 2009
- "Math is at the crux of who gets paid"- July 24, 2009
Career profiles of some recent math majors
- What do University of Michigan Math Majors Do?
- Who Hires University of Michigan Math Majors?
- Profiles of Careers in Applied Mathematics
- Mathematical Sciences Career Information
- Profiles of working Actuaries
- Question and answer forum with working mathematicians (archive)
How is math used in industry?
- Careers in Applied Mathematics & Computational Sciences
- Life "On the Job" as an Actuary
- Mathematical Applications in Industry
- Mathematics in Industry
- Teach for America
- Careers in Math Sciences (SIAM)
More information about Math Careers
- Careers in Data Science
- Mathematical Sciences Career Information (AMS-MAA-SIAM Project for Nonacademic Employment)
- 101 Careers in Mathematics (book available from MAA)
- Actuarial Careers
- AMS Early Career Page
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
The Department of Mathematics provides these links as a service to our students. We do not endorse any of the companies and bulletin boards linked in any way. Please be aware that any information you may provide is given to these companies and NOT the Mathematics Department, and we are not liable for any violations of your privacy resulting from your use of these links.