Job Placement and Career Services
The Quantitative Finance and Risk Management program is designed to prepare graduates to become masterful quantitative analysts and leading problem-solvers in the financial industry. In order to assist in this, our program staff is dedicated to placing students in summer internships and full-time jobs that best reflect their interests, strengths, and aspirations.
The following programs and services are available to Quant students:
- Program-sponsored services: Throughout the year, Quant students participate in program-sponsored career development activities and receive individualized assistance in planning for and pursuing job opportunities. Our office also works directly with employers to match our students with appropriate positions. Upcoming activities for current students are included on our events page.
- U-M Career Center: Our students have access to all of the resources and opportunities provided by the University of Michigan Career Center, including one-on-one career advising, resume and cover letter reviews, job postings, and on-campus recruiting events. Our office works with the Career Center to identify and promote the opportunities that will be most valuable to our students.
- Career Fair: The Mathematics Department hosts an annual Career Fair for all students. The financial industry is well represented at the Career Fair, making it a prime opportunity for Quant students to explore career options and make connections with employers. Learn more about the event here.
Information for International Students
International StudentsWe support our international students in their pursuit of U.S.-based employment via CPT and OPT. The Quant Program is designated as a STEM program, so our students are eligible to apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension.
Our first class of 18 students ("2016 Cohort") joined us in Fall 2015 and will have graduated in either December 2016 or May 2017. Their job placement information is as follows.
2016 Cohort Internship Placement
- Intern NLP Engineer, Axmtec
- Quantitative Analyst Intern, CSats Funds
- Quantitative Analyst Intern, Chang Xin Asset Management
- Financial Services and Risk Management Intern, EY
- Research and Trading Intern, Hanchang Investment Company
- Industry Analyst Intern, Huarong Securities
- Equity Captial Markets Intern Analyst, Industrial Secruities Co. Ltd.
- Quantitative Research Intern, Kingsun Investment
- Investment Banking Division Intern, Mingsheng Security
- Quantitative Analyst Intern, Qunyu Dingquan Asset Management Company
- Research Assistant, Ross School of Business (3)
- Trading Strategies Research, Shanghai Kuantou Investment Management
- Business Analyst Intern, State Street Technology
2016 Cohort Graduate Placement
- Quantitative Analyst, ACSI Funds
- Mergers and Acquisitions Intern, China Merchants Securities
- Intern, Datahub
- Quantitative Analyst, TradingFront
- Still interviewing (7)
- Still enrolled in the program (5)
- Enrolled elsewhere (1)