The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology offers tours and activities for grades K-12. Pre-K groups are welcome to schedule a docent to lead the Read and Look activity.
The museum can accommodate a maximum of 45 students at one time, and requires a minimum of 10 students to schedule a group tour.
Tours are $2 per student. Chaperones, teachers, and aides are free. To arrange a tour, please call or email Sarah Mullersman at the Education Department (734.647.4167, email@example.com) at least two weeks in advance.
Plan Your Visit
Step 1: Choose a topic or ancient civilization to explore more on your gallery tour (Archaeology, Egypt, Near East, Greece, Rome, Ancient Writing, Special Exhibition, custom topic)
- Tours typically last 30 minutes to 1 hour
- The 2016-2017 Special Exhibitions at the Kelsey Museum explore themes and artifacts that resonate with all ages: Less Than Perfect (August 26, 2016–January 8, 2017) and Art and Science of Healing from Antiquity to the Renaissance (February 10–April 30, 2017)
Step 2: Choose one or more activities listed on this page. Each activity takes 30-45 minutes to complete.
- Archaeology activities work well with most tour topics
- Have a group of more than 30 students? Pick 2 activities or 2 tour topics– groups will rotate
Step 3: Email Sarah Mullersman (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your goals and your students’ learning goals. We look forward to seeing you this year!
- Ancient Democracy! (5th-12th)
- Read and Look (Pre-K-1st)
- Sketching in the Galleries (K-12th)
- Burial Boxes (3rd-12th)
- Pottery Reconstruction (1st-8th)
- Museum Ethics and Artifacts (11th-12th)
- Ancient Board Games (2nd-8th)
- Making Mosaics (K-5th)
- Reading Latin Inscriptions (8th-12th)
- Latin Squeezes (6th-12th)
- Fred the Mummy Presentation (2nd-5th)
- Hieroglyphic Writing (1st-5th)
- Myths and Monsters (K-5th)
- Ancient Board Games– The Royal Game of Ur (2nd-8th)
Reserve Your Tour
Tours are available from 9:00am – 4:00pm Tuesday-Friday (last scheduled at 3:00pm).
Tours are $2 per student. Chaperones, teachers, and aides are free. To arrange a tour, please call or email the Education Department at least two weeks in advance.
The Kelsey Museum is a small institution, and we want you to have the best experience possible. Group size is limited to 15- groups over 15 will be split in two smaller groups. Have a larger group? Let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
The Kelsey Museum is fully accessible and we are happy to work with you if any of your staff or students need any special accommodations. Please let us know how we can make your visit work best.
For more information about our other tours, please visit our Group Tours or University and College pages. If you would like to schedule a K-12 field trip to the Kelsey, please contact the Education Department.
What to Expect When You Arrive
Please enter the museum at the Maynard Street entrance (see map at right). There is a coat room there where your group can leave coats, bags, and umbrellas. Your guide will meet you at the desk for the tour followed by an engaging hands-on activity. The tour is $2 per participant and can be paid in the gift shop at the time of your visit.
Just as a reminder, please tell your students and any accompanying adults that food (including gum) and beverages (including water) are not permitted in the museum; photography is permitted (without a flash).
Parking is available:
- In the Maynard Parking Structure
- In metered parking along State Street and Maynard Street
- Buses can drop the students off at the Maynard Entrance and then park by the UM stadium.
Pre-Visit and Post-Visit Activities
We are in the process of developing pre- and post-visit activities for K-12 students. If you have ideas about what you’d like to use in your classroom, please contact the Education Department.