- Summer Hopwood Contest
- The Hopwood Award Theodore Roethke Prize
- Graduate and Undergraduate Hopwood Contest
- The Academy of American Poets Prize
- The Bain-Swiggett Poetry Prize
- The Michael R. Gutterman Award in Poetry
- The Kasdan Scholarship in Creative Writing
- The Marjorie Rapaport Award in Poetry
- About Our Judges
This contest offers a first prize of $750 and a second prize of $500 awarded annually from funds contributed by Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Gutterman as a memorial to their son. The terms of the bequest stipulate that the prize poems “shall exemplify the new, the unusual, and the radical.”
Rules of Eligibility
The award is open to all University of Michigan students with no particular course or hour requirements. Only one poem may be submitted in the contest. The following restrictions apply:
- The same poem shall not be entered in any other fall term poetry contest including the Hopwood Underclassmen Poetry Contest, with the exception of the Cowden Fellowship Contest.
- No student who has won this award may compete again in the contest, nor may a winning poem be subsequently entered in any other Hopwood Program Contest, with the exception of fellowship/scholarship contests.
- No poem that has been published in a medium other than a college or high school magazine or newspaper may be entered in the contest.
If you receive need-based financial aid and would like us to delay payment until the beginning of spring term (May) so your award won’t alter your current financial aid allocation, please indicate that on the entry form.
Entries should be in 10-12 point font, with a left-hand margin of 1.5 inches, in PDF format. A contestant must use a pen name--entirely different from his or her real name. Please make sure the pen name in your profile matches the one on your PDF. The same pen name must be used for all fall term contests. This name should only appear on the title page, nowhere else in the manuscript.
The PDF must have a title page on which shall appear:
- The title
- The pen name
- The contest (e.g., the Michael R. Gutterman Award in Poetry)
The deadline for submission is absolutely no later than December 6, 2017, by 12 noon. Please be advised that all contest deadlines are enforced to the minute. The winners ill be announced at the Hopwood Underclassmen Awards Ceremony in January.